MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking into gathering some parts over time to prep for a 2AR swap eventually. There are plenty of engines for sale, not as many transmissions available. I was wondering what kind of cost others have been getting their EB60 or EB62 transmissions for. I have a quote for about $2200 USD for both combined or about $1700 USD for the EB60 itself.

Is it worth buying them separately or would I be better off buying a salvage or cheap TC and parting it out aside from what I need? If I pay for just the engine and/or transmission I don't have to worry about taking it out of the car, that would be handled within the cost.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
I think the best way if you don't want to buy a complete car is to buy a manual drop out . Buying it all together (manual) will save you cash and problems .

I've bought 4 eb60's all low mileage (under 50k ) , this was before they seemed to get popular :

1 from Houston shipped to Il. $700
3 from Canada shipped to Il. $900 ea.

I think you can get a brand new one for around $2700 .... that was back when I started my 2ar swap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, not a very good deal for me it seems. New ones still go for around that much. The engine has about 60k but the tranny has about 90k.

I'm not opposed to rebuilding the transmission, but that just adds to the cost.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Wow, not a very good deal for me it seems. New ones still go for around that much. The engine has about 60k but the tranny has about 90k.

I'm not opposed to rebuilding the transmission, but that just adds to the cost.
I'd buy a new one before I'd buy used and rebuild , also depends how long you're going to keep it .

·
Registered
166 Posts
Last I saw you get new for 2500ish at a number of dealers, some not far from me. I got a used Canadian eb60 for $1100 + 125 shipping. It was a bit dirty inside but cleaned up ok, had 50k miles. Not getting it as a unit has caused a few minor issues around bolting it to the transmission and the special clutch fluid accumulator. I would not be afraid of buying separates. Also keep in mind Mark is looking to get 280+hp out of the 2AR-FXE which are newer cheaper. Some extra cam replacement work required.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am actually in Canada, did you just find the eb60 from a salvage sale? 2AR-FXE still uses the EB6 series does it not? I figure currently the transmission is harder to come by since the engine I would be able to get from one of the many Camrys or TCs

·
Registered
181 Posts
I paid 700 plus 100 shipping from Puerto Rico for a used eb60. Either buy a front clip engine and tranny or order the eb60 brand new. Covid jacked up the prices on junkyard parts.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I got mine buying a salvage tC and parting it out. Bought the car with 25k miles on it for 2500. I am plus $1600 :)
I agree with everyone else that I would probably buy the transmission new from Toyota instead of used off car-part.com.
For the engine I would wait on Marc’s current investigation of the 2ar-fxe, as you might be able to get an extra 50 hp for 500 or so.
If you aren’t planning on AC let me know, as I have the idler delete pulley and waterneck available.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I'm going to be accumulating parts over time so I'm not in a rush, it just seems the transmission is the most elusive so I will have to keep my eye out or just budget for a new one.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Oh, I just saw Marc's video about the 2AR-FXE. I'm sure it makes more power, and I guess he knows it bolts up, so that's a good option. I don't think you even need to move the cam to get more peak power than the 2AR-FE tbh, but you'll get a little more low and midrange by advancing it one tooth. Usually, the FXE engines start beating the FE engines in the high 6000s range.

Personally, 7600rpm on stock pistons and rods kind of scares me though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
He's already done 8200 with upgraded valve springs (on the 1AR). I'd be more worried about valve float at 7600 than rods and pistons.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So looking at the pedal required for the swap, is this just the accelerator right from the TC or Camry? Would it make the most sense to buy it with the wiring? Also a pulled used pedal vs a new one, any real difference?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It would be better to gather the hard to source smaller parts before you get the engine and trans
What would you recommend? Mainly the swap parts from Gouky? I figured the engine and it's parts would can wait since there are plenty of 2ars out there, but the transmission itself seems a little harder to find a good deal.

·
Registered
181 Posts
What would you recommend? Mainly the swap parts from Gouky? I figured the engine and it's parts would can wait since there are plenty of 2ars out there, but the transmission itself seems a little harder to find a good deal.
Get the custom parts first. Toyota sells the transmission brand new 2400. If you can't find a used one under $1500 just get a new one.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Gouky has a parts list on one of his videos from last week or a week before. Check him out on YouTube. His last video said he’s gonna be focusing on Frankenstein Motorworks full time

1 - 20 of 20 Posts