MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a '00 to replace my Duramax diesel as my daily driver ... a huge change, and while it's a blast to drive, I find the lack of torque a bit disappointing.

I've read about the 2zz and the 2gr, but I've seen very little about the 2zz. It seems like it'd be an ideal candidate for my driving style, and the cost of the engine and availability of components appears to be, at least at a preliminary glance, in line with what a 2zz swap would cost.

Maybe I just suck at Googling, but if anybody's ever done a successful 2az swap, I'd be interested in seeing what the details of it were. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I just picked up a '00 to replace my Duramax diesel as my daily driver ... a huge change, and while it's a blast to drive, I find the lack of torque a bit disappointing.

I've read about the 2zz and the 2gr, but I've seen very little about the 2zz. It seems like it'd be an ideal candidate for my driving style, and the cost of the engine and availability of components appears to be, at least at a preliminary glance, in line with what a 2zz swap would cost.

Maybe I just suck at Googling, but if anybody's ever done a successful 2az swap, I'd be interested in seeing what the details of it were. Thanks!
It's been discussed before, and it just seems like a trivial gain for the money. Part of the appeal of the 2ZZ is that a lot of it aligns easily with the 1zz, which makes it a bit cheaper than having to get custom parts made for a 20-25hp gain in a 2AZ swap. Personally, I also think the ZZ better suits the personality of the car.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I thought about it but I think a 2AR would be a much better swap. 2AZ has the problems with the cylinder head bolts stripping out as well.
+1

2AR

Grab one + 6spd MT from a late model 4cyl Camry MT or Scion TC

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Think out of the box and drop that Duramax in there.^_^

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.