MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not my 2gr set up but it did motivate me to have even less sleep.

March 10 at about 10am est standard time. I started looking at wiring for my swap and found the information was correct. So I called a guy named Carlos over on the west coast to see if he had a good wiring diagram. He said sure if you want to drive from the east coast to the west coast of the state he would be more than glad to loan me the book.

So I fueled up the new TDI wagon and headed out. Getting through bike week traffic and a few small delays on the parking lot called Interstate 4 it took about 3.5 hours to get over to Bradenton. I knew I was at the right house when I pulled up and there were 2 MKII Mr2s in the garage.

The teal Mr2 is a parts car and had some box and such on it. The White car was jacked up in the air as he was showing me a really tricked out oil pan. I want one and I dont even have my car up and running yet.

After lots of discussions on different parts and how to make the swap better for the MKIII guys. Carlos started up the white '91 MR2GR and it sounded phenomenal. Like a kid at the candy store I had a grin from ear to ear. The exhaust he has is well most likely get improved upon but does get the job done.

He backed the car up, blurping the throttle and the engine screamed for more. HE opened the door and said so you wanna drive it? I didn't even think, the next thing I remember was buckling the seat belt. The clutch he has was stiff and felt great, its been a long time since I drove a car that felt this proper.

I pushed in the clutch he encouraged me to free rev it a few times to watch the engine acted. He then explained he had a custom made 9 lbs flywheel installed. Which looks a piece from a mint. we behaved ourselves getting out of the neighborhood. As I was still getting use to the clutch engagement. Made a Left turn at the light, followed by a right hand swipper to Interstate. As I approached the interstate I blurped the throttle down shifted into 2nd. At this moment I realized the throttle seemed to be connected to my brain it reacted so quick I was truly amazed. We blasted down the interstate at a moderate speed.

I pulled into a service station and asked him to show me how he drove the car. Since he was familiar with the area and the suspension. I got one helluva test ride. It was very well balanced and never broke the speed limit but pushed the car to the fun factor. He was able to take me on some twisty's and some straights which made the raw power of the 2GR stand out. With torque along I think you cold steer this car.

After the drive he showed me some more parts and ideas. All and all it was a blast and made me get really motivated to start on mine with no sleep. So about 930 pm EST I departed and drove home.

Today I started looking at wiring in the Drive By Wire (DBW) throttle.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Did you and Carlos talk about his custom bellhousing for the 6sp trans.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I keep telling everyone, the numbers only tell you so much. The 2GR drives amazing when coupled to a manual transmission, a light flywheel, and a good intake/exhaust system. The power band and the throttle response are superb. :cool:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Being that I haven't heard of much outside of the 2zz swap, and a title search only pulls up about 6 threads on the 2gr I am definitely interested in what you do with this swap. And the fact that you are in central florida? Added bonus, I would love to check out your work, progress, or supply a extra pair of hands anytime im free if you wouldn't mind. With audio complete and appearance halfway done come the end of the year it will be time to start working on the engine swap myself (sooner if i get another promotion :D) would love to be kept posted and observe. looks like i got much more hw and researching to do. probably not going to do the 2gr but if would still love to watch. and who knows what will happen towards the end of the year, maybe i'll do something just as drastic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts