MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased an EB60 and an OS Giken LSD. Going to pick up a 2gr from a local junkyard. I'll be swapping over 6th gear off an EB62. On the fence about taking off the head and replacing the valves. If I dont it, I would replace springs, retainers, and do stage 1 MWR cams. Going to use frankensteinmotorworks parts. Right side mount, headers, and exhaust will probably be made custom by me. Yes I'm cutting an access panel. Will try to see if I can run a/c on the other side with a custom ac bracket otherwise I'm deleting the a/c. I will try to document the hiccups and my workarounds. Any questions or comments is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I’d love to do one of these some day. I’m looking forward to watching your progress. I have the 2GR AC compressor installed in stock position. However I think my engine is further aft than Gouky’s mount positions the engine.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'd also love to do this one day. Will definitely be following along on your build thread. Good luck!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here it is. Going to start emptying the oil pan to see if there is any metal chunks and start pulling it apart to see all the goodies. Tranny comes in by July 2nd, I'm going to buy the Frankensteinmotorworks parts this week or next week. I should probably download the shop manual and print it at work tomorrow. I'm going with stage 2 MWR cams, springs, and retainers.

·
Registered
178 Posts
That looks like a left handed drill out bit might break it free while you still have some of the head to work with. Past that I think you may have to cut off the head & drill it out if that 'sealant' wont let it budge. Again, you can use a left handed bit for that as well since with some luck it'll bite and then remove the bolt as you drill. If you cut the head off make a punch mark in the center to help guide the bit before you drill it out....much better chance of not damaging the threads.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ended up hammering a socket extractor on one and a 3/8 socket on the other. that was straight rust holding that little thing on.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nice job, it’s always rust on these projects that turn the bolts during a few minutes of labor into a project of its own. Glad you got it out and preserved the threads. Personally I have found that using a thread restorer kit helps to keep everything fitting nicely when reinstalling where a bolt was rusted in place.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice job, it’s always rust on these projects that turn the bolts during a few minutes of labor into a project of its own. Glad you got it out and preserved the threads. Personally I have found that using a thread restorer kit helps to keep everything fitting nicely when reinstalling where a bolt was rusted in place.
everything i've unbolted so far has extremely clean threads.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Then keep up the good work, I love to follow along with a good home-grown swap build

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought about getting a link but for now I'm going with gouky's set up. I dont have a tuner or a mechanic to help me install, troubleshoot, and tune. I dont know if it's me but I get dicked over time after time so this effort will be all me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How deep should I get into this? My lazy side says new plugs and send it. My paranoid side says refresh it bc the 2zz has been bulletproof after I refreshed it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts