MR2 SpyderChat banner

2gr swap project

30K views 192 replies 31 participants last post by  Shinobi 
Our local machine shop has been slowly phasing out of doing anything with engines. I don't even know what they do any more - they press wheel bearings in and out, that's about all. At one time they could turn a crank, bore a block, grind heads for valves. No more. "Nah, we are not really doing that any more."

The route that most people take now is to source a 1gr-fe compressor from FJcruiser or 4Runner. This is a perfect fit to the block, and does not require the ECU control of the pressure by-pass/relief valve. Then you fabricate hoses using the Spyder fittings on the car side and suitable fittings on the compressor side. The required fittings to fit the 1gr compressor are listed in an ac thread on mr2oc. In the spyder chassis you will either have to BFH or box the frame rail.

hijack over.
Not quite. Paul Woods had a jig for doing what you did. Did you use his jig, or make your own? Is the jig still available? Do you have photos? I'm looking at modifying other bellhousings, in similar way, for another project. I'd be interested to see what the jig looks like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.