MR2 SpyderChat banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Waiting on more abrasive wheels to come in any minute now. Once these are done I can get everything assembled and final parts ordered. One more head to go

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

I finished one head going to start on the other head then wrap things up. Next step is a resurface and measuring clearances. I'll drop this off this week then wait for pick up of everything.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Right when I was almost finished, the brand new dremel I bought to replace the one I just broke, broke too. Hopefully I can finish after work tomorrow. Save your receipts.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Finished polishing both heads. Tomorrow I'll give both heads a good scrub in mineral spirits. Friday, dropping heads off for last resurface then give the green light to check clearances.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
So I found out lexus lsf titanium intake valves fit so I ordered all new valves. Catcams has billet camshafts and valve springs good for over 8k rpms. Waiting on those orders to be shipped out. Almost 1.5 months into the custom lsd so it should be ready soon too.

So upgrades look like this:
Catcams hot street billet camshafts
Catcams gold valve springs
MWR titanium retainers
Lexus isf titanium intake valves/oem exhaust
MWR main and rod bearings
Engine overhaul
FMW swap parts for both 2ar and 2gr

Other parts needed:
Radium dual catch can
Radium fuel lines
Baffle or moroso oil pan
Oil cooler adapter kit
Flywheel
Clutch
Remanufactured rav4 axles
Wilwood front and rear brake upgrade
Fabrication

Maybe
Link G4x Fury x
Holley intake manifold

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Received my rav4 harness. Not looking forward to doing this. Looking like I'll start with a FMW tuned rav4 ecu at first to get it started. If it gives me issues with the cams, ill jump on link fury.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Oh my god, this is like my dream 2GR build, it's perfect. It's great the IS-F's titanium valves fit, that's very useful. That would, I think, make the 2GR the only 6 cylinder out there that has a non-custom titanium valve option.

If you can find a set of Inconel exhaust valves, you would theoretically be able to thin them a bit for lightness because at 800C, Inconel is much stronger than titanium or stainless steel. The IS-F exhaust valves seem to be Inconel since they were advertised as being high nickel and heat resistant, although I have no idea if they took advantage of that and made them lighter.

One more thing that may or may not be an issue is the titanium retainers. Supertech and Ferrea claim to DLC coat their retainers, but I have no idea where MWR's retainers come from. DLC coating is as far as I can tell essential on a street engine for preventing the springs from wearing away the retainers over time.

As far as the oil system goes, it looks pretty well baffled from the factory. As an upgrade, maybe look into the Ishihara Johnson crank scraper? (haven't read any actual user reviews) Gouky/Marc seems to think the stock engine is pretty well sorted out in that regard.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The exhaust valves are the same weight and size so I'm assuming they're all the same.

I spoke to an engineer thats making the billet cams and they recommend OEM retainers and seats. Ti would be an upgrade but unnecessary.

I was going to put a Wilhelm baffle if I keep the oem pan. I may go moroso for extra capacity and bung holes for oil pressure/temp.

With delays I'm starting to look at the aim mxs 1.2 strada and EFR 7163 turbo lol jk. Not a fan of turbos.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Ah yea, "nickel rich" steel sounds like the usual material now that I think about it. Inconel would be stronger with an aggressively tuned ECU putting out EGTs closer to 850C, so that you could thin the stem and head by like 10-20%. Not a huge gain though, compared to the intake side.

I didn't know that titanium retainers wore down until I was browsing Honda forums, where people claim their Ti retainers were finished after only 30k miles. Any coating that makes the surface harder than steel would make the retainer a lifetime part, so TiN probably is good enough though DLC is better. As far as I can tell, a lot of the Ti retainers on the market are uncoated and would have this issue.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Some swap parts came in. More to come in the coming weeks. Going to start putting things together so ill start with making the harness first.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
LSD's are ready for shipping. Ordering synchros, 6th gear, bearing, seals, etc. Things are starting to pick up. Hopefully I get an update on the cams.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
They didn't have pre-prepped blank camshafts so they said estimated ship date is January 2021.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Is a welded camshaft that bad? The usual claim from camshaft grinders is the welded part is stronger than the original cast cam lobe.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Is a welded camshaft that bad? The usual claim from camshaft grinders is the welded part is stronger than the original cast cam lobe.
Its not that bad. I didn't want to screw around with shims and add stress to the motor. Plus nobody I've seen ran these billet cams. In my eyes regrinds will eventually wear faster. I've never had issues with billet parts and its not that much more. Just patience I guess.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
You don't need shims with a welded cam though, since they add material. Lash adjustment is not affected. IIRC it would be almost 1k to weld and regrind all 4 though, so yea I guess it's not that much money to go billet.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
I've contacted a bunch of vendors for welded cams and got nowhere. Kelford, piper, delta, schnieder will do grinds but will add shims. Its a very limited market for cam profiles. Prices for grinds ranged from 650-900. Kelford want 5k and 6 months for billet cams. There's really only 2 options. MWR regrinds which aren't bad and Cat Cams which as far as I know, I'd be the only one putting anything out there for people to analyze.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Delta said they could weld my 1ZZ cams back in 2014, and they still advertise welding on their website, so idk. The price was pretty reasonable when I asked back then, I think it was 275 for weld + grind on one camshaft.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
Delta said they could weld my 1ZZ cams back in 2014, and they still advertise welding on their website, so idk. The price was pretty reasonable when I asked back then, I think it was 275 for weld + grind on one camshaft.
I still have my stock cams so who knows. Theres a hurt 2gr sitting in the junkyard I think I can get for $200.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts