MR2 SpyderChat banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
So got my block back from the machine shop and found a bunch of sloppy work. Paid to have clearances done and didn't get any written specs. The main bolts are still in the bag untouched. They hones the main bearing but left a scratch and crosshatching. I thought the mains are supposed to be polished. Lost some parts, couldn't find all the parts when I came to pick everything up, was told it would be ready in a week a bunch of times. I'm really busy at work but I'm considering taking off to set things straight.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
i cant remember the last time i saw someone have a good time at a machine shop
Really sorry to see this. Makes me a bit sick.

Do people really just pick a shop and drop off a bucket of parts? I always work up to larger jobs. At first I let new shops lap manifolds, heads and turn rotors. Then I move onto custom brackets with end mill work etc..

Reactions: illatouch

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Really sorry to see this. Makes me a bit sick.

Do people really just pick a shop and drop off a bucket of parts? I always work up to larger jobs. At first I let new shops lap manifolds, heads and turn rotors. Then I move onto custom brackets with end mill work etc..
They did my heads. Didn't have a problem with that at all. The hone job on this one is sloppy and everything else I had to deal with on the block was annoying.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The issue is turnover in the shops generally, most of these places can’t pay very well so they don’t keep anyone really good. This is the issue people have with MWR, every time I go there it a bunch of new faces, plus Matt and Gary. I still like MWR honestly but I am always a little weary of the quality they are putting out now.

I have a shop I go to local to me that is phenomenal honestly but I don’t know how much longer they are going to be around for a similar reason I mentioned above. Let’s face it people are not getting rich off of speed shops, or machine shops...it is just a fact. No one is interested in working there, or learning the trade....it is a shame.

Sorry to hear about your troubles though.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Its frustrating but it comes with the territory. Im middle aged now so these setbacks wouldve hurt me years ago. If the machine shop isn't cooperative in fixing the situation I can easily call my credit card company and reverse the charges. The local junkyard has a 2gr block almost for free if I need to replace it.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Our local machine shop has been slowly phasing out of doing anything with engines. I don't even know what they do any more - they press wheel bearings in and out, that's about all. At one time they could turn a crank, bore a block, grind heads for valves. No more. "Nah, we are not really doing that any more."

·
Registered
Spectra Blue 2003 SMT with Quaife LSD
270 Posts
The money is only really in it for the high end operations I think. My uncle has his own CNC shop and he’s always busy, but he mostly does work for dragsters and his services don’t come cheap. He has the expertise and equipment so his clients understand what they are paying for. He also really loves doing it and works seven days a week, and he raced dragsters himself so he has a good reputation in the community as well.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I went back to the shop and he corrected everything. Showed me around the shop and we talked quite a bit and understand a lot more now. Everything people are saying about not making money, overhead, employees, etc is true. I went to a high end tuner and they use him and another high end machine shop. Ill post pics but I was reassured when I checked everything out and worked with him. It was a little sad listening to him explain how he gets shitted on when he's basically the only shop with the machines he has. Nobody does his kinda work and he sees other shops rip people off only to subcontract him for their work.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Aaaaaand of course they sent the wrong micrometers. These are .01 and I needed .001 graduation. I'll take the opportunity to get digital quanta mikes instead.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Here is an update of where I'm at with everything. I'm going to build an assembly booth to make sure debris doesn't get in the way. 2-3 week back order on my digital micrometer set but I got them for $1k. I'm leaning towards getting a Link Fury since I spent this much on tools. I'm going to focus more on the gearbox. In the meantime, I'll clean these parts even more.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts