Sorry progress has been slow. My job authorized overtime for the summer. Had an issue with the threads on the heads. If you've had a problem with internal threads or are generally trash at threading like me get the NES 1025 kit and the mini kit. bolts go in easy and snug.
I got the rest of the pistons in. Clearances are all good. I mic'd them and they're within spec. Then I plastigaged them just in case and we're all good there too. The ARP rod bolts are 12pt. 3/8 not 10mm so I got lucky I didn't round one off. Having a/c and a 65in definitely made things really easy. Next up are the heads, I have to double check the keepers and make sure I dont get a dropped valve.
ARP thread cleaning chaser came in. I spoke with ARP and you dont have to heat cycle head bolts unless specified by the gasket maker. Just make sure the threads are fully cleaned. I bought a long thread cleaning chaser but @ $80 i thought about making my own. Needless to say, dont do it on something important like the block/head.
So the dowel pins on the cams are too large and don't fit the cam gears. In my desperation I tried sanding down the pin. I gave up at 3am. I just clayed the pistons and I got a bad thread on cam bearing and dowel pins that are too large to fit can gears. 3 of the rockers have a stripe on them. Might as well replace them since all the little things want to pop up. Fun times.