MR2 SpyderChat banner
121 - 140 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
2001 2zz supercharged MR2
1,618 Posts
That is a very easy thing for a machine shop to remedy for you. They could make some new dowels oversized on one end and stepped down on the other.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
That is a very easy thing for a machine shop to remedy for you. They could make some new dowels oversized on one end and stepped down on the other.
You would think? But nope, the "good" machine shop said they can't. I would have to source them myself. Then he started with his concerns pulling them out. So while I'm emailing catcams about the remedy, I ordered the cal-van dowel puller kit. I thought about just clamping the pin on a vise and use a brass bar to knock the cam off the pin. I've seen this done with v8 comp cams.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would be very interested in knowing what Catcams says. I have a set of their hot street cams for the 2GR waiting for the rest of Marc’s swap parts to be finished.

I could have sworn I came across something about this in the past where the size of that pin changed at a certain mode year but I apparently didn’t save a link.

·
Registered
2001 2zz supercharged MR2
1,618 Posts
Freeze the cam and see how much the dowel shrinks, my guess is maybe only .0002” depending how cold you can get it. Basically makes this an interference fit but it should be ok. You can freeze it and assemble the the sprocket onto it.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
2,004 Posts
Freeze the cam and see how much the dowel shrinks, my guess is maybe only .0002” depending how cold you can get it. Basically makes this an interference fit but it should be ok. You can freeze it and assemble the the sprocket onto it.
I would rather machine the sprocket. Why create headaches for yourself in the future?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
I would be very interested in knowing what Catcams says. I have a set of their hot street cams for the 2GR waiting for the rest of Marc’s swap parts to be finished.

I could have sworn I came across something about this in the past where the size of that pin changed at a certain mode year but I apparently didn’t save a link.
Measure the dowel pins with a micrometer. Mscsupply sells the correct size pins. Toyota won't sell them separately.

Catcams said pull them and put the correct sized dowel. Im buying them in multiple sizes. Undersized to oversized. 4.97mm to 5.06. Also pulling the old pins from the oem cams. I'm buying a cal-van dowel pin puller since this machine shop doesn't seem to want to do the work. Im really getting tired of these I know more than you shops. If I pay you to do a job, stfu and do the job Im paying you for. Sorry about the rant.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
I would rather machine the sprocket. Why create headaches for yourself in the future?
no need to do this. I'm calling misumi tomorrow for a stepped dowel pin. 5mm to 4mm with variances in diameter. I'm going this route or mscsupply. The only issue I forsee is not being able to take the current pins off myself with the puller.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
I ordered Misumi stepped dowel pins MSFW5-15. They were the cheapest, fastest pins I could find. They're cheap but folks, lets learn a lesson from me. Don't rush, drop the dowel pin in the camgear. If it doesn't fall through then get a smaller one. I'm going to talk to another machine shop across town to see if they can do the work for me just in case this fix doesn't work.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Well amazon sent me a used tool. Glad I'm never going back to that machine shop. I got the dowel out in less than 2 minutes. This was the test run with the oem cams.
Tool Gadget Nickel Gas Machine
White Wood Font Auto part Metal
Nickel Household hardware Gas Engineering Wire
Nickel Gas Machine tool Tool Auto part
Household hardware Nickel Wood Tool Auto part
Product Wood Office supplies Office equipment Line
Automotive tire Auto part Composite material Metal Cylinder

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Need to exchange the step dowels. They have pretty deep grooves. In the meantime I took the plugs off the torn up sienna harness and jdm 2zz harness. I liked the cleaning chaser so much I got more.
Household hardware Cylinder Bullet Gun accessory Electronic component
Horse Mythical creature Art Painting Font
Car alarm Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper
Light Blue Automotive tire Electronic engineering Circuit component
Hand tool Font Tool Material property Kitchen utensil
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Product Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
decided to do my own fab work so I bought a welder. Getting 6/3 romex wired up in the morning. Welder is a Primeweld 225x tig welder. the local gas company only had 40cu argon tanks. Bought the welding table and dolly from northern tool with their coupons. Super cheap stuff during black friday, I'm glad I lucked out with everything. I have high hopes for a full titanium exhaust.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Wheel Tool Rim
Shipping box Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Asphalt
Wood Line Gas Rectangle Tool
Wheel Tire Photograph Vehicle White
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
My job had a bunch of conduit pvc laying around so I took what I thought was more than enough but I was wrong. The techs didn't think I could fit the 3/4 pvc in my grocery getter. I thought 25-30 ft of romex would do it so I got 50ft, I used 48ft in total. First time doing this electrical work. I still need to clamp down the pvc and glue the joints outside. Home depot looked at me crazy for doing all this. If you're an electrician, feel free to nitpick my work.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire
Yellow Font Space Machine Personal protective equipment
Automotive tire Electrical wiring Luggage and bags Building Engineering
Brown Wood Composite material Tints and shades Building material
Wood Composite material Flooring Hardwood Beam
Brown Wood Floor Wood stain Natural material
Electricity Gas Electrical wiring Cable Engineering
Wood Electricity Rectangle Gas Electrical supply
Door Fixture Wood Gas Composite material

·
Registered
654 Posts
Ready for the nit pick:
edit: looks like you put a carflex connector on pvc???

1. We don’t run PVC inside a house or in an attic.
2. We don’t run Romex in PVC. (It has a jacket)
3. Romex is more expensive that Tray Cable and both can be run exposed inside but tray can be run outside also.
4. The rounded Romex is always a X/3wg so that’s probably a 6/3wg. 6/2wg is flat. #8 and bigger are black. 14 is white, 12 is yellow, 10 is orange.
5. You did fine. Everything is safe. Make sure your terminations are clean and tight.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Ready for the nit pick:
edit: looks like you put a carflex connector on pvc???

1. We don’t run PVC inside a house or in an attic.
2. We don’t run Romex in PVC. (It has a jacket)
3. Romex is more expensive that Tray Cable and both can be run exposed inside but tray can be run outside also.
4. The rounded Romex is always a X/3wg so that’s probably a 6/3wg. 6/2wg is flat. #8 and bigger are black. 14 is white, 12 is yellow, 10 is orange.
5. You did fine. Everything is safe. Make sure your terminations are clean and tight.
are you talking about the piece that connects to the box? LoL um yes, I used a vice to press the pvc in. I only paid for the romex and like $10 of joints.

I broke 3 flat head screwdrivers tightening things down. The 10/3 was just thrown around and held together with drywall screws, crazy looking shit. I have a phobia of electricity so I think I over did it. I can't believe how deceiving 6/3 is in pics. it looks like it bends and flex like a power cord but boy was i wrong.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
I got my tig set up. Keep in mind I have zero experience with any of this stuff. First set up and start up was blowing everything up, couldnt get an arc started.
Grey Art Silver Font Liquid
Textile Organism Rectangle Grey Font

Then I checked the torch and realized the collet was put on backwards. Then I got a good arc but dirty tungsten.
Wood Vision care Grey Eyewear Line

I cleaned everything up and sharpened the tungsten to test things out again.
Font Tints and shades Wood Pattern Rectangle

then I proceeded to empty out a 40cu ft tank practicing and realized I need a lot more argon so I ordered 125cu ft tank. I got 2 hours in and this was the end result
Automotive tire Wood Rectangle Font Automotive design
Hood Wood Gas Cuisine Nickel
Water Liquid Fluid Automotive lighting Bumper

then all the sudden after I would say 4 hours of welding time, I finally got the hang of it.
Wood Rectangle Gas Tints and shades Electric blue
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design
Automotive tire Safety glove Electrical wiring Bicycle part Glove

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you get your phasers to fit on the front of your camshafts?

I got my 2GR tore down and verified my phasers do not fit my cams as well. When I contacted Cat Cams they wanted me to first verify the dowel pin had been drilled at the correct offset. I was wondering if you found only the incorrect dowel pin size or this as well?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Did you get your phasers to fit on the front of your camshafts?

I got my 2GR tore down and verified my phasers do not fit my cams as well. When I contacted Cat Cams they wanted me to first verify the dowel pin had been drilled at the correct offset. I was wondering if you found only the incorrect dowel pin size or this as well?
i purchased stepped down dowel pins and they fit using those. i'm going clay the pistons to check the clearances. the only problem was waiting for the step down dowels to come in. i have an extra set of 4 if you need to buy a set asap.

121 - 140 of 178 Posts