MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am formally requesting that we make this a sticky, and only post actual reviews in here. Even if it doesn't get a sticky, hopefully people who could benefit from this will find it via the search function. This thread is only for reviews of those who have swapped in the 2GRFE.

If you are posting a 2GRFE road test, please describe your set up, and give your estimated, or if possible dyno backed HP.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Lets see there might be 3 stateside with this build in a Spyder. Maybe 4-9 in the UK. Roughly 30 in a mk2. It's a small club.

I'll give my review. Note this is in a 94 Toyota MR2 with a 2gr owned by a good friend of mine. The setup is the following: 2gr engine sourced from 2008 Toyota Highlander with tow package. Trans E153 with LSD, Fidanza light weight flywheel. Clutch is ACT. Headers Gouky, Motor Mount Gouky. Wiring a full plug and play harness done by Doug aka mr220v (mr2oc) for 450 he will make you a harness also.

What I think about the car. It's good very, good. I've owned and driven my share of high hp mr2's. Yet nothing prepared me for the response of this thing. Step on the loud pedal and next thing you know you are hitting the rev limiter. I would be great if the tach would work but details. The power band is very strong from the bottom all the way to the top of the rev band. Yes it could use an extra 1000rpms. This engine wants to rev like no other. Downside, oh you run out of gear so fast it's not even funny. Tires what tires they turned to dust. Maybe mated to a 6speed trans geared for more top end you wont be constantly shifting.

Downsides for those thinking of doing this swap.
1. In the mk3 requires lots of fab skills or the budget to allow for fab work. Until someone releases a bolt in style passenger side mount this proves to be a big hurdle. All other spyder swaps have been reverting back to a mk2 turbo style mount.

2. While wiring is fairly simple now that Doug has done a few harness's. The fact that you have to run Lotus electronics to have a chance of being code free is scary expensive. The good you get a few extra hp and 500 more rpms with an evora ecu. The bad it's not just the main ecu you will need to buy but a few more to be code free. The imobolizer also proves to be a nightmare/stumbling block as no one has documented a work around. Although I do have an idea or two in regards to that.

3. "Added" weight you will be adding roughly 200 lbs to the rear end of the car. 2gr engine is 40 kilos heavier then the 1zz. E153 or EA62 is roughly twice the weight of a c-series trans. This isn't a big deal if you retune your suspension to suit but I know someone is going to bitch about this issue.

All the other hurdles can actually be worked around fairly easily. But I'm not going to give you guys a complete road map what would the fun be in that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts