MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's been far too long since we had this discussion. With the 2ZZ being the predominate swap, should we make a subforum for 2ZZ swap specific issues? I've seen so many 2zz diagnosis issues popping up in the performance forum and it isn't really relevant to performance. The performance section should be about cams, different brands of headers, tuning (in the subforum), intakes, injectors, lightening the crank, etc... not, "I just installed a 2zz and now it won't idle". Not to say that isn't important, but that isn't what the performance section is about; that's not performance, that's an issue. Should we, as a community create a 2zz/engine swap forum, and where should we place it? Should it be as a sub-forum for performance, or a sub-forum for maintenance, or should we create an engine swap forum all to itself? I mean, the "turbo's, 2zz and now supercharging" thread is over a decade old as far as relevant info goes. Why not try and keep the forum alive with the new generation and create a forum (or sub-forum) specific to swaps as the tech arises? Things like K20, 2AR, F2x, 2GR and all of the other crazy but real swap threads out there, that might be helpful for other people in the future who are looking to undertake such projects and maybe won't have to spend so much money in the process, if they know the things that the pioneers before them learned in doing the same or similar things.

Maybe, one forum in the performance section for engine swaps, or two forums; one in the performance section for swaps and and one in the maint section for swap issues?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
23,058 Posts
No please don't. It will just be too much clutter and then we have to entertain a sub forum for k20 and k24 and what ever which will only segregate the forum.
It much better to see the swap stuff or any issues in the proper area for diagnoses because there was never an issue. We should have less sub forums as possible otherwise it will ruin the forum experience. As it is our population is going to decline as this car gets older and all we will have left is a bunch of subforms that will be ghost towns. Besides who is going to clean up the mess when 2ZZ related stuff is posted in suspension sub forum.
Before considering any thing new lets first fix the current forum issues.

I would be in favor of an idiots subform for those that don't know how to post.

If you are looking for something to do I can flag a number of threads that need to be moved.

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No please don't. It will just be too much clutter and then we have to entertain a sub forum for k20 and k24 and what ever which will only segregate the forum.
It much better to see the swap stuff or any issues in the proper area for diagnoses because there was never an issue. We should have less sub forums as possible otherwise it will ruin the forum experience. As it is our population is going to decline as this car gets older and all we will have left is a bunch of subforms that will be ghost towns. Besides who is going to clean up the mess when 2ZZ related stuff is posted in suspension sub forum.
Before considering any thing new lets first fix the current forum issues.

I would be in favor of an idiots subform for those that don't know how to post.

If you are looking for something to do I can flag a number of threads that need to be moved.
you make a very good point. I like to be hyper organized and wondered about this issue. A lot of the time my way of organizing things isn't the best way for the community which is why I asked. I'll keep on cleaning things up and see where it goes from there. People might not like what I do sometimes but I will always do my best for the better of the community.

·
Registered
23,058 Posts
you make a very good point. I like to be hyper organized and wondered about this issue. A lot of the time my way of organizing things isn't the best way for the community which is why I asked. I'll keep on cleaning things up and see where it goes from there. People might not like what I do sometimes but I will always do my best for the better of the community.
All that matters is doing the best you can. We just need to restore the forum to some thing that resembles how it use to be when things were working and people were able to engage in interesting discussions.
Even back then it wasn’t perfect but it was far more enjoyable.

Im afraid however that this forum is doomed as the numbers drop off and the quality of owners are degrading. What we are seeing now are those that are making poor choices and are completely oblivious on how to use this forum to solve their issues. It is a sad state at the moment but I think we can get in a few more years before it turns into newcelica.org.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
With the 2ZZ being the predominate swap, should we make a subforum for 2ZZ swap specific issues?
This is a great idea. There are many issues specific to the 2zz swap. On facebook the same questions regarding the 2zz swap are being asked over and over. I have a sense that the 2zz swap may be gaining in popularity as 1zz's either die or it becomes apparent that they are hopelessly underpowered by 2018 standards. A 2zz subforum with stickies would be a great resource. Similar to the SMT subforum, which addresses the specific issues of the SMT.

As for the other swaps... the K-swap seems to have its own defacto subforum which is the K20 research thread. The 2GR swap is probably not sufficiently popular to warrant a forum of its own. And other swaps are even less popular.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I think a swap (all) sub-forum in the performance section would be ok . Whenever you can group alike info all together it is a good thing ......

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
I think a swap (all) sub-forum in the performance section would be ok . Whenever you can group alike info all together it is a good thing ......

I agree with this. A general engine swap forum.

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far more yays than nays.

·
Registered
23,058 Posts
Make as many subforms you want. With no moderators to do house keeping does it really matter. And if it does who is going to be responsible.
Eventually the forum will be littered with subforms of subforms and new owners will not know where to go to post so it will end up in the general section.
Some ideas are good but they are only ideal, people can agree because its easy to do so but how it plays out is a different story. When it doesn't play out well people disappear.

·
Registered
23,058 Posts
Let me break this down a little better. You have those that are proposing a swap which is a performance mod and you have people that have post swap issues which is in the repair section.
You will have massive amounts of redundancy but if you want to go this way I hope you understand that it will be a monumental undertaking of moving all swap threads for both proposing and issues to be solidified in one section. Further more you will have to move all of those that don't post in the correct forum because of confusion and lack of visibility, and I guaranty they will on a regular basis. So if you are ready to do some major consolidation and clean up going back over fifteen years of swap threads I wish you the best of luck but if it's not done in the proper way and you are going to be selective then it will be a half way feel good job to say you have a new subform but in reality its just redundancy and disorganization.

Now if you wanted to make a how to for swaps subsection that are only selective threads that are approved and lock which contains information on how to perform said swap with part numbers and such I would be on board with that. That way if someone needs information they can go there as a research library.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Make as many subforms you want. With no moderators to do house keeping does it really matter. And if it does who is going to be responsible.
Eventually the forum will be littered with subforms of subforms and new owners will not know where to go to post so it will end up in the general section.
Some ideas are good but they are only ideal, people can agree because its easy to do so but how it plays out is a different story. When it doesn't play out well people disappear.
I think a lot of people don't know where to post is that the sections are too general . For instance most exhaust swaps are really "not" performance mods , most are for appearance and sound or precat removal . Or most tires and wheels
changes aren't for handling but for appearance . I have "projects" that cover just about all the sections and I still don't know where those really should go .

To say he has to go back 15 years is kinda crazy , most of the old threads are dead anyways . And I really don't know why you'd think people will leave because of a couple extra subforums .... people will come and go anyway . We've always had people posting in the wrong section which isn't a big deal to me , it's just the multiple same post in different sections I don't like .

·
Registered
23,058 Posts
You get so invested in a forum over so many years as you connect with a good number of owners for a car that you love but eventually you lose sight of what is important around you as you get attached and then it runs its course. No im not happy about this but then again its not my board. If its what people want, its what people want. Having said that it was probably a long time coming and probably a good idea to take a long break so I can detach myself from any investment I have for what I think Spyderchat should look like and just let it run its course so I can do other things. I wish you all well.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
You get so invested in a forum over so many years as you connect with a good number of owners for a car that you love but eventually you lose sight of what is important around you as you get attached and then it runs its course. No im not happy about this but then again its not my board. If its what people want, its what people want. Having said that it was probably a long time coming and probably a good idea to take a long break so I can detach myself from any investment I have for what I think Spyderchat should look like and just let it run its course so I can do other things. I wish you all well.
Sorry you feel this way ..... I guess everybody needs a break occasionally .

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
You have those that are proposing a swap which is a performance mod and you have people that have post swap issues which is in the repair section.
1) Swapping engines need not be a performance mod.
2) Troubles resulting from installing a non-OEM engine can't be categorized as maintenance.

Non-OEM engine swaps should be relegated to their own forum called "Engine Swaps & Consequences".
The forum should have sub-fora dealing with each different type of engine employed.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Little baby throwing a tantrum. Somebody stuff that pacifier back in his mouth.
Ty for taking your tongue out of autoglides anus long enough to post this gem of wisdom, enjoy the fresh air for a few seconds before resuming normal operations.

·
Administrator
582 Posts
if you need assistance changing the forum and adding new sections, let us know. We'll do as much as we can. :05.18-flustered:

Lee

1 - 20 of 38 Posts