MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all MR2 fans

I am Cyril, from the south of France.
I registered on this forum to get answers to my questions about the 2ZZ swap. (Thanks to Google Translate :ROFLMAO:)

I have just finished the 2ZZ swap of my MRS facelift 2002, the engine manages to start only with the start pilot and does not hold idle at all. I'm trying to find out the cause

More info about the engine:

This is an engine that already came from a preFL MR2 that I crashed but it worked fine before.
I changed a lot of things on the engine like the oil pump, the timing, a lot of gaskets or the camshafts but I'm sure I didn't make a mistake on that.

The engine is stock with an EU 89666-20150 ECU with immobilizer. (lift 6000rpm and 8200 rpm limit)

The intake is a stock K&N maf size, the suction pipes are clogged except those on the cylinder head + brake booster and VSV.

The wiring on the harness was done without an adapter, I connected all the wires as described in the exel spreadsheet available on the forum: A7, B16, B25, B12, C6, C7, C8, C9, C21, D28 . The addition of the electrical harness for the lift ... I did all of this. Did I forget something ?

Screenshot_20210403235655~2.png

My fuel pump only comes on when starting, it remains off with the key on. Is this normal?

Maybe on an MR2 facelift there are more threads to put?

Is this problem known? I can't find a problem with my engine

Lots of questions for my problem :p
If anyone has any idea thank you ! :giggle:

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Fuel pump runs only when cranking or engine running - this is normal.

Your issue could be either immobilizer or IACV. Sometimes with immobilizer issue the engine can fire then stall immediately. Same with IACV if engine does not get enough air. These are the two simplest options to explain your issue.

To check for IACV hold the throttle open a little bit and engine should get enough air to run.

To check immobilizer either use an ECU without immobilizer or check immobilizer module status with Techstream. Or you can unplug the bridge connector between the body harness and the engine harness and run with your 1zz ECU. Did you pair your transponder key with the new 2zz ECU?

In general, the wiring changes for the 2zz swap do not affect the basic running of the engine. All the wiring for triggers, fuel, spark remains the same.The engine should crank and fire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for your answers

I had immobilizer problems at the beginning, it would not start at all and put me in an OBD fault

I taped the key chip on the neiman sensor to be sure it works

I have not tried with the 1ZZ ECU, this is also an idea to look at

I had not thought of the IACV system, thank you!
It's as you described, leaving a little open the car works but stalls as soon as I let go of the accelerator.
By cons to start it is impossible without a little start pilot (alcohol in the air filter)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The MAF is pointed in the right direction, I will try to change it but it worked fine on the 1ZZ before :)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Reading through the thread again; I am not sure what you mean by "pilot". Do you mean when the starter motor is running?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reading through the thread again; I am not sure what you mean by "pilot". Do you mean when the starter motor is running?
No, I was talking about the alcohol in a spray can that you put in the air filter to help start the engine.

In France we say "start pilot" :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi

news about my problem in MR2

I changed :

MAF sensor
throttle position sensor
idle speed controller
camshaft position sensor
crankshaft position sensor
spark plug and coils

I checked the timing of the distribution, it is ok (photos)

I tried the 1ZZ ECU but the problem is the same

all these parts were from the 1ZZ which was working two weeks ago or from my Corolla TS which is also working well.

but the problem remains the same

I started the car using alcohol in the air filter and kept the throttle at 3000 rpm. It got to normal temperature 80 ° celcius and started to jerk at +/- 100 rpm, and an OBD fault appeared at that time.

I looked at the OBD faults:
P1349, VVT malfunction
P0300 and others: cylinder 1 to 4 misfire

I think the VVT is on all the time, that's why the engine runs well above 2000/3000 rpm.

So I found a problem: the VVTI selenoid was broken because of the strap that carried the engine during the swap. I replaced it but it did not start ...

I thought I found the problem but in the end I did not move forward

here the screens of the OBD application while the engine is running at 3000 rpm
Screenshot_20210409190034.png

Screenshot_20210409173224.png

Screenshot_20210409173210.png

anyone have any idea of the problem? Thank you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts