MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello eveyone. Im new to this forum. Ok so it seems like everything on the internet with 2zz-ge engines for sale are "JDM" with about 50k miles. I'm interested in buying a complete engine sooner or later. How can I distinguish between USDM and JDM? I don't want an engine with a shit ton of mileage. Please post pics if you can. Links to reputable sources for these engines would be great too. Thanks y'all!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
878 Posts
Mechanically, they are identical to USDM 2ZZ engines. There are 2 things you can do;

-Verify it has a cable throttle and single wire knock sensor. All JDM 2ZZ engines are like this, none are drive by wire or 2 wire knock sensor equipped.

-Check the part number on the ECM and ensure it is from a JDM model. The 2ZZ from a manual transmission Celica is 89666-20060 which will work when you do the swap into a MR2.

As a side note from someone who has purchased several JDM engines over the years, it is best if you can see them in person, especially to check with a boreoscope and leakdown tester.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mechanically, they are identical to USDM 2ZZ engines. There are 2 things you can do;

-Verify it has a cable throttle and single wire knock sensor. All JDM 2ZZ engines are like this, none are drive by wire or 2 wire knock sensor equipped.

-Check the part number on the ECM and ensure it is from a JDM model. The 2ZZ from a manual transmission Celica is 89666-20060 which will work when you do the swap into a MR2.

As a side note from someone who has purchased several JDM engines over the years, it is best if you can see them in person, especially to check with a boreoscope and leakdown tester.
Thanks for the enlightenment. What compression should I be getting in the cylinders?

·
Registered
878 Posts
220 I think is the spec? I don't remember. I usually do a leakdown test and won't buy an engine that leaks down more than 5% on 100 PSI.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I bought an 06 matrix engine from a scrap yard. We will see if things go well or if crap hits the fan!

·
Registered
2 Posts
JDM Toyota Celica GT-S 1.8L 2ZZ-GE VVTL-i Engine 2ZZGE Corolla XRS Fielder Runx have the high performance for its users and found more such jdm engines visit this web.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Let me guess, your affiliated with said business, which isn't a problem but it is always nice to know who you're doing business with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts