MR2 SpyderChat banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

Registered
ZachT53 : is your engine running like mine?

Registered
Check for intake leaks with a can of starting fluid, spraying at areas where there might ba a cracked rubber boot, and crack in the intake manifold, any place where unintended air (vacuum leak) might exists

Registered
Dual Duty '01 2ZZ/C60
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Misfire/lean condition code solved, turned out to be debris on the MAF that I somehow missed in my 2 rounds of cleaning, go figure, idle is smooth at 750ish rpm.

Solve one issue only to have another arise, popped an EVAP CEL for purge flow, replaced the VSV I knew was bad, code remains.

Seemingly unrelated to this code, however, is a couple random occurrences of total power loss while driving, 60mph, 6th gear, all up to temp, passing a car on the highway when the 2zz lost all power, even under full throttle it was decelerating, lasted about 5 seconds then all came back to normal... Going to replace MAF with new OEM unit and ditch the K&N oil-type filter for a dry one. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Registered
Dual Duty '01 2ZZ/C60
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Misfire/lean condition code solved, turned out to be debris on the MAF that I somehow missed in my 2 rounds of cleaning, go figure, idle is smooth at 750ish rpm.

Solve one issue only to have another arise, popped an EVAP CEL for purge flow, replaced the VSV I knew was bad, code remains.

Seemingly unrelated to this code, however, is a couple random occurrences of total power loss while driving, 60mph, 6th gear, all up to temp, passing a car on the highway when the 2zz lost all power, even under full throttle it was decelerating, lasted about 5 seconds then all came back to normal... Going to replace MAF with new OEM unit and ditch the K&N oil-type filter for a dry one. Any other suggestions are appreciated.
Adding to this as it just happened again near my place of work, accelerating from a stop light, made it into 2nd gear, throttle goes limp, immediately starts decelerating until engine dies, managed to get it up on the sidewalk, car would crank, start, then immediately die, pulled negative terminal, swapped back to PFC, started right up... Can't catch a break.

Registered

You should have new fault codes stored. Start there.

Registered
It look like bad/faulty ignition coil. Or something does not send the right signal to coilplugs.
PFC is a old "race" standalone. It will not really advert you when the engine is running bad.

It look like bad ignition coil. Or something tht does not send the right signal to coilplugs. PFC is a old "race" standalone. It will not really advert you when the engine is running bad. The factory ECU is the real thing to trust, the way to know what is wrong.

Registered
Dual Duty '01 2ZZ/C60
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
It look like bad/faulty ignition coil. Or something does not send the right signal to coilplugs.
PFC is a old "race" standalone. It will not really advert you when the engine is running bad.

It look like bad ignition coil. Or something tht does not send the right signal to coilplugs. PFC is a old "race" standalone. It will not really advert you when the engine is running bad. The factory ECU is the real thing to trust, the way to know what is wrong.
Indeed, it was a faulty ignition coil, would break up when warm, new coil is in and no codes are present for the time being.

Thanks all for your help! I still have much to learn about this engine and chassis. Will likely run Celica ECU for a good while, see if any other codes come up.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts