MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am working on getting my (new to me) Spyder with 2zz swap running as it should. Its occasionally runs rough/hesitates just after I "blip" the throttle when i am getting into 1st gear. its been happening about 1 out of every 4 or 5 starts and sometimes when I step on it, the RPMs actually DROP as low as 600 rpm for a moment before reving up :angry:, although that is rare it still happens and hurts me personally. Its been kind of dangerous if I have to cross traffic making a left turn from a stop.

So to the seafoam.... Keep in mind I have a 2zz. I have looked at many of the online resources but they are not specific and labeled clear enough for me. the youtube video showing it done on the red Celica is good, but there is no close up and I think there is only 1 vacuum hose in that video.

Which Vacuum hose line should I use that will "distribute seafoam to all 4 cylinders" (as the instructions say)? I had read the "break booster hose" only pulls to one cylinder, so I should NOT use that one, but I dont know which is which. I am posting a picture which details the 3 hoses between the engine and the battery.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v500/SteveSekellick/hosesmr2vac.jpg

I hope it is either:
A) the line I colored BLUE with a "T" section to distribute seafoam or
B ) the line I colored RED with the (literally/unillustrated) green cap for seafoam distribution.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
23,137 Posts
Sea foam is not going to help your situation. This could be many things from a bad MAF, IAC valve or leaking vacuum hoses.

Where in Montgomery county are you located. I would be happy to diagnose it for you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I havent cleaned MAF nor throttle body. I was thinking it may be the throttle sticking closed or something.

Man Dev, that would be awesome! I live in Clarksburg, and work in Gaithersburg. I am in Bethesda pretty often too. I saw there have been some Spyder meets in Rockville, I was thinking those would be very educational for me.

Still I would like to seafoam it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
23,137 Posts
I havent cleaned MAF nor throttle body. I was thinking it may be the throttle sticking closed or something.

Man Dev, that would be awesome! I live in Clarksburg, and work in Gaithersburg. I am in Bethesda pretty often too. I saw there have been some Spyder meets in Rockville, I was thinking those would be very educational for me.

Still I would like to seafoam it.

Thanks!
I was thinking you could come to one of our meets in Rockville.
What car did the 2zz engine come out of ?

If you want to seafoam you can disconnect the hose connected to the PCV valve located on the head.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Great feeling!

·
Registered
23,137 Posts
2 days ago, I cleaned the MAF sensor and Throttle Body. I am pretty sure I fixed the problem I was experiencing with the MAF cleaning. It was rather caked with black stuff. It seams to be working great with much MUCH better responsiveness.
Thanks!
Good to hear, what kind of air filter are you using. Is it one that requires oil priming.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.