MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been researching on 2zz goodies and I seen MWR offers 9500+rpm springs and retainers. I looked into them and there Eibach springs rebranded with unknown retainers. Also MWRs valves are Supertechs. My question is will Brian Crowers retainers and Eibach springs hold the same rpm value. There $30 cheaper than MWRs. Besides noise is there really na/fi benefits I could look to down the road?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wouldn't let the $30 difference bother me.(my opinion)
Also mwr has got flat faced valves wich increase compression by 0.3? That would be a small n/a benefit if it's legit.

Quotes from other topic : "Additionally, Toyota was highly impressed with the quality. So either way you buy them, MWR or Eibach, you are getting a great valve spring."

Seems like the biggest benefit is that your valves can withstand more abuse than before like overrevving and misshifts.

Topic similar to yours: http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=188039 .
Should cover most of what you asked.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The only 2ZZ valve & spring package worth getting are the Ferrea ones. The MWR stuff is OK, btu if you're going to all the trouble to replace the valves, you may as well get the best flowing and most durable, highest quality parts you can. Ferrea claims they are good up to around 12K, so they are way less likely to come aprat in a mis-shift

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
If you plan on revving to the 9k range, you should also look into upgrading the oil pump. LR said the stock pump didn't like the high revs.

·
Registered
26,913 Posts
How high do you think you "need" to rev? The valves and springs MWR sells are good for a rev limit higher than you'll likely "need". I've revved my 2ZZ to 10K before and there's no more power up there. Having it top out above the normal/stock limit for a 2ZZ just means you don't HAVE to shift as soon.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
How high do you think you "need" to rev? The valves and springs MWR sells are good for a rev limit higher than you'll likely "need". I've revved my 2ZZ to 10K before and there's no more power up there. Having it top out above the normal/stock limit for a 2ZZ just means you don't HAVE to shift as soon.
This was exactly the answer I was looking for. Thanks KB

I've been thinking heavily on keeping my 5spd. I don't like the whole reverse isn't fun finding and I'm not a fan of shifting more than I have to lol. Will the 5spd fall out if i rev over 8k?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Personally I prefer 6spd with 2zz (a lot) then again; 5spd > 6spd on durability (esp the 3rd & 4th gear of the 6spd)

The bitch thing on having mods over time, you (always) find it's still never enough. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts