MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

First post for me!

I have put a 2002 Corolla 2ZZ engine in a 2003 MR2 (UK car), and everything works perfectly, except the battery light is constantly illuminated (battery voltage with engine running is ~14V) and the coolant gauge is doesn't move from cold. The coolant sensor on the engine works fine - I have checked the ecu with an OB2 real time scanner.

I've spent the past few hours scanning the internet, but I've yet to find a solution to my problem. Prior to running the 2zz the dash worked perfectly.

If anyone has an idea why I am experiencing the above two issues, I would welcome your comments.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
What ECU did you use.. and how is it wired?..

Cap

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Corolla ECU will not drive the Gauge Cluster..
Need the Celica ECU..

Cap

·
Registered
106 Posts
Agree, a friend has just built a 2001 Mr2 with a 2ZZ-GE and the same 2002/2003 Corolla ECU.

He has exactly the same issue as you. We found that the CAN protocol seems to be different and the Corolla ECU cant drive the Mr2 cluster. If you feel inclined to prove it, you can plug the 1ZZ ecu back in, it will fire up (assuming you match the immobiliser) and the dash will work. We did this and the dash all works perfectly. Dont drive it though as although it starts, its not right :)

Either you need to locate the correct Celica ECU and matching key/sensor or do what he is going to do and use a Scangauge II that uses the OBDII port and reads Temp and Volts correctly (as you have seen with your scanner) or perhaps install a couple of seperate gauges in a dash pod.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies.

That's really annoying it won't work with the Corolla ECU - I've got two of the things both with immobiliser chips!

Damn and drat!

Well at least I can be sure it's not something I've done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Safe to assume that's why my PFC powered 2zz doesn't power the same functions? Same problem with two different PFC units.
I'd love to know if this likely to be a problem with a PFC as that was the planned upgrade route. I'd hope it isn't an issue, as the PFC is for the Celica.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm having a similar issue - running the correct Celica ECU (from Monkeywrench) however the battery light is on. I've confirmed I'm getting 14V while its running but the ECU thinks it's not.

Is there a particular wire that the ECU reads voltage off of, or is it buried in the CAN logic? Minor annoyance but I'd like to turn it off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts