MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
My smog is due so I thought I would get my car BAR'd. There's a lot of muddy water on this topic. For others that might want to go through this with, this is what you'll need to know.

I'll focus on the exhaust side, because that causes more confusion. For an intake you can either use a stock intake or a CARB approved intake designed for that motor. ECU/motor need to be SAME YEAR or NEWER than the chassis they're going into.

There are two different kinds of swaps that we could register as: motor replacement, and motor swap.

MOTOR REPLACEMENT:

• Exhaust system has to be from an MR2
  • Precats are REQUIRED (2zz flange + 1zz header)
  • 3 O2 sensors REQUIRED (2 on the exh manifold, 1 downstream from main cat)
MOTOR SWAP:

• Exhaust system can follow the motor (from a XRS, Vibe GT, etc.)
  • Precats are NOT REQUIRED (2zz motors don't have precats)
  • Prove that OEM MR2 cat is the same as motor cat (pictures below, see PN)
  • Exhaust manifold must be OEM MATERIAL (2zz flange + 1zz header)
  • 2 O2 sensors REQUIRED (up and downstream from cat)

Notice: PN for Universal Replacement cat is the same for MR2 and Matrix. Matrix only has 1 cat, whereas MR2 has 3 required.

I went in there today and tried to follow the motor swap guidelines. Ended up getting denied because of my LR swap header. The issue was not regarding the cats on our OEM header (although it took a lot of convincing on my behalf to get past this point), but the material that may be used in "non-certified" exhaust components. It didn't help that I have a Vibe 2zz. It'll raise less eyebrows if the motor comes from another Toyota.

Regardless of the guidelines, to pass any sort of BAR you'll need to use a newer 2zz motor and ECU, plus a 2zz flange + 1zz exhaust manifold, along with an OEM cat, and your choice of a stock intake or CARB approved intake. I highly recommend a heat shield on the manifold because the ref said they couldn't approve anything that may look non-OEM to smog techs.

I'm going to go back once I get a header fabricated. I'll post up the results.

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
The 1zz manifold with 2zz flange doesn't last or fit well. Tends to crack. If it's a temporary fix to bar the car then it should be ok. Otherwise use a 2zz OEM manifold and modify the mid pipe.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 1zz manifold with 2zz flange doesn't last or fit well. Tends to crack. If it's a temporary fix to bar the car then it should be ok. Otherwise use a 2zz OEM manifold and modify the mid pipe.
That sounds more expensive but you'll probably get hassled less by the ref.

·
Registered
643 Posts
good info here for all the CA folks. thanks for sharing this.

wondering though, if all except ECU (i have a PFC) is done, can someone get away with that? or does the ref plug your car into an OBD reader?

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They plug into the OBDII and put it on the roller when you try to get it BAR'd. OEM ECU is a must.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
MOTOR REPLACEMENT:

• Exhaust system has to be from an MR2
  • Precats are REQUIRED (2zz flange + 1zz header)
  • 3 O2 sensors REQUIRED (2 on the exh manifold, 1 downstream from main cat)

This is good Information..

But this says the 2ZZ Motor will be controlled by the 1ZZ ECU, as the 2ZZ ECU only has inputs for 1 Pre o2 and One Post O2.. and I would 'Presume' the the three O2 Sensors need to be Functioning..

So we can't do a Motor Replacement .. it's a Motor Swap..

I thought it was the Same Year or Newer.. EDIT Remove [so the '00 Celica ECU's are out in California.. for ALL Spyders..] It is.. see below

Curious how they tell the Year of the ECU.. as I did not think that information was available at the OBD2 Port..

Techstream Finds it..

Cap

·
Registered
495 Posts
so if the car is a 2000 and the 2zz and ecu are 2000 this will not pass?

·
Registered
362 Posts
mmm good source of info
excues my afterhour head not working moment.

would anyone have a picture of 2zz flange + 1zz header exhaust manifold.

In my head im thinking the flange is the bolt and the plate the manifold connects to?
hell does that even make sense?

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
mmm good source of info

In my head im thinking the flange is the bolt and the plate the manifold connects to?
I haven't seen a picture of such a thing in a very long time. Maybe from when the first few swaps were being done. The flange they are referring to here is the flat surface on the header/manifold that bolts to the head/engine.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
0oikjmn

·
Registered
740 Posts
This topic concerns me as it concerns many other 2zz owners in California. Plus I am more concerned now that it is required to match the ECU year to the engine when my 2zz in an 04 vibe and the ECU is an 02 Celica!!

Here is a link to a member that lives in So Cal that you may like to contact him regarding making the swap legal, (post # 22)

http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?49537-California-legal-swaps/page2

Please keep us updated
Thanks
Rasheed

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
So this is looking like 'We' might have to figure out how to run a Vibe ECU next to, and with, a Spyder ECU.. just to be legal..

Cap

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
The smog technicians never check the physical ECU unit. All they see is what is on the OBDII.

As far as I know non of the 2zz units show VIN or year info via OBDII.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
The smog technicians never check the physical ECU unit. All they see is what is on the OBDII.

As far as I know non of the 2zz units show VIN or year info via OBDII.
But to get the BAR Sticker, the ECU's will have to run in Tandom.. Then you can change

How about putting the '00 Celica ECU into the Vibe Box.. and plug that into the Spyder Harness Patch?.. that would pass the BAR inital Exam..

Cap

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
I have to talk to cosmin to see if they even looked at his ECU. He was using a celica 2zz ecu on a 2002 car.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
They did not look at my ECU, just plugged in their ODBII scanner. It probably says what year/car the ECU is from on their display, but I'll ask the ref next time I go.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mmm good source of info

I might have a picture soon. Just waiting for the 1zz header to come in.

So this is looking like 'We' might have to figure out how to run a Vibe ECU next to, and with, a Spyder ECU.. just to be legal..

Cap
I can ask the ref next time I go there. I know he was sweating me for having a motor from another make, but my ECU is from a 01 Celica. He didn't mention anything about the ECU.

This topic concerns me as it concerns many other 2zz owners in California. Plus I am more concerned now that it is required to match the ECU year to the engine when my 2zz in an 04 vibe and the ECU is an 02 Celica!!

Here is a link to a member that lives in So Cal that you may like to contact him regarding making the swap legal, (post # 22)

http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?49537-California-legal-swaps/page2

Please keep us updated
Thanks
Rasheed
My motor/ecu combo is the same as yours. You're better off saying that the motor is from a Matrix. I don't think they run the VIN on it and it'll be easier to prove that the emissions components as the same PN as the MR2.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts