MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is this connected to?
Hey guys,
I need some help, can someone tell me where to connect the small nipple on the coolant return pipe, you can see it in the picture below it's right above the thermostat...

This is for a 2000 2zzge into a 2000 mr-s. Can it be capped off? The problem is that I apparently didn't route it anywhere and it's just sitting open like that so when the coolant goes in, it pours out. Would removing the thermostat housing, starter, and vent tube give enough access to the pipe? I will hate myself if I have to drop the entire engine just to work with this pipe.

Thank you!

Noel

·
Registered
283 Posts
You mean the one below the intake on the silver pipe that is pointed at the knock sensor? Cap that one off.And if it's already in I don't know what to tell you. You may have enough room but it will be tight as hell.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's the one, I'm hoping if I take off the surrounding parts I might have more access, maybe I can get my gf to use her small hands in there

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Yeah that's the one, I'm hoping if I take off the surrounding parts I might have more access, maybe I can get my gf to use her small hands in there
That feeds the coolant bottle on a Celica. Spyder doesn't need it though - it gets the coolant return from a different location.

I would just remove the belt, unplug the compressor. pull the front and rear mounts, drop the compressor and then plug that line.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it won't take that long.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I attached mine to a "T" in the spyder's stock coolant bottle line, made bleeding the system a tad quicker than the swap I did before. :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
I think it would be easier to get at it from the passengers side of the car. Try removing the alternator then reach in there and cap it off by feel as I doubt youll be able to see it. I think youll have better luck this way and should be a bit quicker.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay so i was able to cap off the pipe, i ended up removing the oil pressure sensor and starter and after a lot of cursing i got it. replaced the starter and filled the coolant and it started right up. then i had a problem getting a full turn on the throttle body, so i took care of that today by swapping the throttle gear with a matrix xrs throttle gear so that's good to go. Now i have a new problem.....the car won't start. i thought it was the battery to i took it to autozone to get it rechaged, but that didn't fix the problem. the lights, radio, ect. all work fine. the car will just click and i'll hear what i think is the fuel pump (not sure if i'm right about this one) and sometimes i can hear the starter wanting to crank but it doesn't fire up. any suggestions? could i possibly need a new starter?

keep in mind i was able to start it fine after i removed it. i'm going to recheck all my terminals and connections. All i did today was remove the throttle body and change the throttle gear, could that in any way have affected the starter? this is literally the last thing i need to do so i can drive the car after a year of having it sit in my driveway!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took the starter to get tested and it's fine. I'm wondering if I'm just not getting a spark

·
Registered
283 Posts
Starter relay? You sure you have it hooked back up correctly in there? It's pretty damn tight and you can't see that well in there. You could always put it up on stands and have someone try and turn it over while you check power with a tester (Carefully). Also, what changed or got unhooked/moved when you caped that pipe? It worked before that correct?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Starter relay? You sure you have it hooked back up correctly in there? It's pretty damn tight and you can't see that well in there. You could always put it up on stands and have someone try and turn it over while you check power with a tester (Carefully). Also, what changed or got unhooked/moved when you caped that pipe? It worked before that correct?
I'm sure I connected it correctly, connected the clip and connected the ground. When I capped the pipe I took off the oil pressure sensor and starter. As soon as it was capped I put everything back. I was able to start the car a bunch of times, but since the throttle cable wasn't connected, all I could do was use the throttle gear to rev the engine. This was last weekend. So this weekend I got a matrix xrs throttle body, swapped the throttle gear, put the throttle body back on. The battery lost it's charge over the week so when I tried to turn the car on it just clicked. I could smell something burning but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Went to get the battery tested, they said it just needed to be charged. Picked it up, tried to start the car, but no luck. So I thought at this point it was the starter so I took that off and took it to get tested. They said it was fine. Reinstalled it and had given up for a while. So today I thought maybe I just need a battery because eveytime I tried to start it, you could hear the starter turning slightly but it would stop and all I could hear was clicking. I thought maybe the battery didn't have enough power to crank the starter. Got a new battery and still the same result. Then today I decided to check under the armrest to check on the shifter cables and found that the brake cable was smoking.

Sorry for the long rant, but I hope that a step by step explanation might make it easier to see how I got here.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Gotcha. Something is shorting somewhere. I would disconnect the battery until you track it down. What did you disconnect when you removed the throttle body and what is in that area you may have hit? It should be easier to find due to the fact it is probably partially burnt...I would try to figure out what is in contact with the brake cables.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah o disconnected the battery already. The only things I removed were the intake and throttle body. I'll have to take a look this weekend and see if I can find what is shorting. What's killing me is that I had already started the car without any problems and now this . We'll see thank you for the help

·
Registered
100 Posts
Try the groundcable on the starter, i had the same problem! The groundcable might be loose.
As you described the problem, it should be a ground problem.
Everything works except the starter, when you try to start the car it should click. The starter just can't get enough power so it can't turn the engine.

You can also check your groundcables. I forgot the second ground cable which should be connected to the frame and the battery. After connecting this cable the starter went around and the fun started.

Goodluck!

greetz,

Sherwin

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
... it should be a ground problem. Everything works except the starter, when you try to start the car it should click. The starter just can't get enough power so it can't turn the engine.
I agree. Doesn't sound to me like anything is shorting at all. Instead, the heavy amp draw is finding ground through your brake cable, but it's too small to carry all the current. So it's turning your brake cable into a glowing heating element. Something's wrong with your engine/frame grounding strap/cable. Is it missing?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree. Doesn't sound to me like anything is shorting at all. Instead, the heavy amp draw is finding ground through your brake cable, but it's too small to carry all the current. So it's turning your brake cable into a glowing heating element. Something's wrong with your engine/frame grounding strap/cable. Is it missing?
Which one is the engine/frame grounding strap/cable? Sorry if that's a stupid question but where would it be so I can identify it? On the starter there's to wires right? The one with the clip and the one that goes on the bolt? Both of these are on the underside of the starter

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Absolutely what he said. Make sure your grounds are correct, or the current will find new ones (like the handbrake cable).

·
Registered
100 Posts
SOMEwhere there is a heavy battery cable or braided wire strap that connects the engine/transmission to the chassis. I don't have Spyder-specific experience on this one.
Check your battery, take the negative pole. Follow the cable which is connected to it. It should branch in to two cables. One should be connected to the frame, between the battery and the exhaust muffler.
its a bolt right on to the chassis. if you're standing with your head towards the engine it's on the left.

gr Sherwin

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay here's the negative ground, everything is nice and tight

1 - 20 of 54 Posts