MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm almost done with the prepwork for my 2zz swap, I have a question about wiring.

swap is 2000 celica GT-S 6MT to 2000 Spyder 5MT, it should be the simplest possible swap.

I've added the 3 wires for the VVLT system to my 1zz harness, and reversed the wires on the TPS, that was the obvious stuff.

I found a wiring spreadsheet that suggests moving many more wires between the ECU connectors, regarding systems such as EHPS, ABS, and removing bank2 oxygen sensors, etc.

Is any of this extra wiring work strictly necessary?

Let me know if other information is needed, this part of the wiring job is not well covered online.

I opted not to get the patch harness because I wanted a more elegant solution for when I inevitably blow this shiny yamaha motor and have to yank it again (happens to me a lot)

Thanks!

-Sam

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I opted not to get the patch harness because I wanted a more elegant solution for when I inevitably blow this shiny yamaha motor and have to yank it again (happens to me a lot)

Thanks!

-Sam
My $.02
The swap harness is the elegant solution. You do not have to hack up the factory harness at all, just plug it in. If you blow your motor and go 1zz unplug the harness and swap the tps wires back and you are done. A used swap harness will last about 5 minutes in the parts for sale section at 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of new. If you are broke you can swap the harness wires and then swap them back. This is a time/money/hassle/skill equation, so if you don't have the money you're going to need some time and wiring ability.

·
Registered
977 Posts
well what i did, with the guidance of cap, was repin the 2zz ecu from the inside, and add the wires to for the VVL directly onto the ecu board and made them exit the exit the ecu via a grommet, that way the 2zz ecu plugged right into my normal 1zz harness, no problems.

i even ran the 1zz on the 2zz ecu before i starter the swap to ensure that the repinning from the inside was correct

Be warned, its not for the faint hearted or anyone that has little or no soldering skills

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that page cap, that is exactly what I needed

blackcreek: I intend not to return to the 1zz (it's blown anyways), I do agree with you the swap harness is the way to go for those with less inclination to do wiring, I just don't have the money, and I need the car running. I had no problems getting the VVLT wiring installed, I was just curious since there is little to no discussion online of the non VVLT/TPS wiring work, everyone just says "get the swap harness"

silverbullet: why did you not just repin the wiring harness --> ECU connectors? I sprayed them with windex to get them loosened up (all out of KY) then they unlocked easily enough with a jewelers screwdriver. Insert large paper clip, step 3 profit. What was the motivation for doing the repin inside the ECU?

Thanks for the input guys, I am very excited to get this bad boy running again!

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Silverbulet had a Unique Situation.. ( As all Situations are )..

He was conformable doing the Swap, but it needed to be done in Stages.. as a Swap is more work than could be done in a weekend.. and the Car is a Daily Driver.. so it needs more than One Weekend to Complete.. and the Car would not be Driveable during that time..

Procedure that he came up with, was to Verify all the Wiring on One Weekend, then drive the Car with Modded Wiring for a week, then 'Do the Swap' the next weekend..

But the Simple Solution to that was Mod the Celica ECU to Fit the Stock Spyder Wiring.. so no Alterations were needed.. after all that was proofed.. then do the Engine Swap in a Weekend, and Plug in the Already Proofed Wiring 'ECU-Patch' and Drive Away..

Not for the Faint of Heart.. and Not the First Choice for a Swap.. but it worked for Him..

Cap

·
Registered
977 Posts
yeah that was pretty much it.

my car has been off the road for 10 days now, engines are out but i can only work on the weekends, everything is ready to go back but no work this weekend.

luckily i have a bike so thats my DD while the car is out of action,

i will however have to make the harness changes when i go PFC, but thats not a biggy

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah that was pretty much it.

my car has been off the road for 10 days now, engines are out but i can only work on the weekends, everything is ready to go back but no work this weekend.

luckily i have a bike so thats my DD while the car is out of action,

i will however have to make the harness changes when i go PFC, but thats not a biggy
Damn that is the story of my life, I'm riding my '99 honda cbr 600 until I can get the spyder running again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.