MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a somewhat unique situation.
So my 1zz @ 75k is burning about 1 quart every 400 miles, thus I have decided to do a 2zz swap. I will be leaving for the entire month of Feb and I was looking to see if I could possibly get my MR2 into a reputable place near Central Jersey (or somewhere else close) while I am gone.
The unique part is that my car has an autosource third-party warranty and I need to get it to a shop that will be willing to take them (most do since they are a pretty good company) however I guess I need my receipts to say 1zz on everything in order to get them to cover the majority of repairs.

And advice for good local 2zz swap locations???

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
So I have a somewhat unique situation.
So my 1zz @ 75k is burning about 1 quart every 400 miles, thus I have decided to do a 2zz swap. I will be leaving for the entire month of Feb and I was looking to see if I could possibly get my MR2 into a reputable place near Central Jersey (or somewhere else close) while I am gone.
The unique part is that my car has an autosource third-party warranty and I need to get it to a shop that will be willing to take them (most do since they are a pretty good company) however I guess I need my receipts to say 1zz on everything in order to get them to cover the majority of repairs.

And advice for good local 2zz swap locations???
I can't think of a local shop that I have heard of doing a 2zz swap.

I suggest you talk to SpyderGuyNY. When he was researching his 2zz swap and still considering having it done by a professional shop, he spoke with the guys at JDS Motoring in Carteret (which is primarily a 350z shop, but I believe there is a former Toyota service tech on staff).

You could also reach out to Bryan at PR1ME Performance (which specializes in MR2 MK1s and MK2s) in Dover. I don't believe they have done a 2zz swap, but might be willing to take it on.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I can't think of a local shop that I have heard of doing a 2zz swap.

I suggest you talk to SpyderGuyNY. When he was researching his 2zz swap and still considering having it done by a professional shop, he spoke with the guys at JDS Motoring in Carteret (which is primarily a 350z shop, but I believe there is a former Toyota service tech on staff).

You could also reach out to Bryan at PR1ME Performance (which specializes in MR2 MK1s and MK2s) in Dover. I don't believe they have done a 2zz swap, but might be willing to take it on.
To the OP,

Those are the two guys that I was considering for my 2ZZ swap before I ultimately decided to do it myself.. One thing to consider; although they are both reputable; they have never done a 2ZZ swap (at least as of last year when I spoke to them).

And that little switch-a-roo you're trying to pull off with your warranty company is called fraud...

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
To the OP,

Those are the two guys that I was considering for my 2ZZ swap before I ultimately decided to do it myself.. One thing to consider; although they are both reputable; they have never done a 2ZZ swap (at least as of last year when I spoke to them).

And that little switch-a-roo you're trying to pull off with your warranty company is called fraud...
You beat me to it. The fraud would have fallen on the shop and I don't know what shop would do such a thing when these third party insurance people are known to send reps to the work site. The Fraud could also fall on the owner as well as it was a contract.

What I would have done is to see if the third party would be willing to estimate the cost of repairs for a new 1ZZ and cut a check to you and at the same time cancel your contract with them so they are no longer responsible for the whatever engine has been used.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Contact Pride Performance (http://www.pride-performance.com/)
One of the guys that works/worked there had a turbo MR2 Spyder. Seemed like a good shop when I went there. They have a parking lot full of JDM cars if you have the RHD itch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts