Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
03 Spyder with 2zz swap
-PPE full exhaust setup with high flow cat
-Brown injectors
-MWR cold air intake with the tube for VSV installed
-00-01 Celica ECU

I am still learning about how to read scanner data. The data points to a vacuum leak situation because of LTFT % decreased with higher rpm. Am I understand it correctly?
I have used a smoke machine to test for vacuum leak. Tested twice, one with the cold intake tube (remove filter); one with EVAP purge valve (blueish valve) hose to TB.
Did not find any leaks tho. As of exhaust leak, I do have a little bit of leak between the cat and mid-pipe. Replaced exhaust manifold gasket with OEM part.

Am I missing something? MAF and filter is clean before the data log.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
2ZZ Swap Trouble

I'm currently having the same issue, I cleaned my MAF and checked for leaks to no avail. I just sent my injectors out to get cleaned/flow matched and should be getting them today. At first I thought they may be dirty and restricting flow, but after inspection, it looks like the bottom rubber seals were hard and cracked, maybe creating an unwanted vacuum leak. Injector rehab will be replacing these components and hopefully this will solve the issue. I'll lyk what the results are, as this may be your problem also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2ZZ Swap Trouble

I'm currently having the same issue, I cleaned my MAF and checked for leaks to no avail. I just sent my injectors out to get cleaned/flow matched and should be getting them today. At first I thought they may be dirty and restricting flow, but after inspection, it looks like the bottom rubber seals were hard and cracked, maybe creating an unwanted vacuum leak. Injector rehab will be replacing these components and hopefully this will solve the issue. I'll lyk what the results are, as this may be your problem also.

View attachment 82807
Thanks for your suggestion. I actually had someone replaced the injectors (brand new, not OEM, from Summit racing) and o rings (OEM) for me already.
That's why I had brown, instead of yellow. I also read a TBS saying even for 00-01, it recommends to switch to brown if I remember correctly.
This lean condition has haunted me forever now. And I live in an area that requires SMOG check. o_O

·
Registered
64 Posts
Oh man, I'm not sure what the issue could be then...I'll stay tuned and maybe find out what my issue is as well if it's not my injectors

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh man, I'm not sure what the issue could be then...I'll stay tuned and maybe find out what my issue is as well if it's not my injectors
Since I am a noob, I basically threw darts on everywhere. You name the parts, I probably change it already (O2, MAF...). Very embarrassing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you have a leak between your 1st 02 sensor and your second you may be getting enough air to set off a lean condition. What % of the LTFT% are you getting? I think above 15% will set off a check engine light.

I had a similar problem with an 01 GTS ECU and browns. In my case it appears it was the header to mid pipe was not well sealed, I could see blow by around the gasket once removed. There are only three bolts on the swap header and I feel it never sat evenly.

Edit: I see the attachment, I am surprised that the light is setting off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have a leak between your 1st 02 sensor and your second you may be getting enough air to set off a lean condition. What % of the LTFT% are you getting? I think above 15% will set off a check engine light.

I had a similar problem with an 01 GTS ECU and browns. In my case it appears it was the header to mid pipe was not well sealed, I could see blow by around the gasket once removed. There are only three bolts on the swap header and I feel it never sat evenly.

Edit: I see the attachment, I am surprised that the light is setting off.
Thanks for the reply! I do have exhaust leaks from the mid-pipe to header and the muffler to mid-pipe. I assume you have PPE as well, do you mind send me a picture of the connection between header and mid-pipe? I want to see the "gap" (googled and found nothing). I tried tighter the two bolts already but still have leaks. I guess I have to buy two new gaskets.

To clarify, I had a P0171 code. Freeze Frame: STFT: 19%, LTFT: 25%, 878 rpm, Engine Load 10% ish.
In order to smoke test from the intake tube (removed filter), I disconnected the battery.
I smoke tested it and found a leak at the oil dipstick (Surprise) . Replaced a new OEM one, smoke it again and cannot find any other leaks.
Then I test drove it, my LTFT when driving (45 - 60 mph) was never lower than 10%. Let go of gas will jump to 19%.
The data log that I uploaded was the car not moving, only revving.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Any exhaust leak between the head and first O2 sensor can cause issues with the O2 sensor feedback. First step is to fix the leaks completely. The PPE system uses a stock gasket at the head flange and then a donut gasket (I believe it is from a Honda application) between the header and midpipe and again the same donut between the midpipe and tailpipe. The bolts at the donut gaskets have springs included to maintain the proper tension to keep it sealed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any exhaust leak between the head and first O2 sensor can cause issues with the O2 sensor feedback. First step is to fix the leaks completely. The PPE system uses a stock gasket at the head flange and then a donut gasket (I believe it is from a Honda application) between the header and midpipe and again the same donut between the midpipe and tailpipe. The bolts at the donut gaskets have springs included to maintain the proper tension to keep it sealed.
Thank you! I will order two gaskets from MWR then. Do you have a dual tip PPE? the left tip to muffler connection is leaking very bad, way worse than the gasket areas. I heard people has to use a gasket sealer for the dual tip setup.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I ended up building my own tailpipe with a different muffler to meet local autox sound regulations. A leak that far down in the system won't affect the O2 sensors.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
If you have a leak between your 1st 02 sensor and your second you may be getting enough air to set off a lean condition....
Actually, the leak does not have to take in air, and it can be anyplace where it blows on the O2 sensor. The sensor needs atmospheric oxygen to function, and if there is exhaust blowing on it, it will shut down and indicate lean.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
There are a variety of conditions that can result when having a leak between the head and first O2 sensor, all of them bad. So first step is to eliminate them!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts