MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are getting ready to do a 2zz swap on the newly procured Spyder. On my black Spyder it took us a weekend with 2 people working at it. Would you guys estimate say 30 hours as a decent amount of time?

The reason I am asking is we are trying to help out one of the lads in the neighborhood. He's a young lad that does a lot of car work on the side but sadly is currently unemployed. He's done the timing belt and other little tasks on my brother and sister in law's Accord so we trust him. Plus, given our current economy helping someone financially sounds a lot better than doing it ourselves.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The swap takes a bit of research, It's not a straight engine swap. I'm not a mechanic so I spent more time researching than I spent actually doing the swap. If I was a professional I imagine that it would have been a lot faster.

If he had the right tools I don't doubt he could do it in that amount of time or probably less. The hardware with the swap harness is pretty plug and play. There are a lot of variables that could come up with the swapped engine or parts. That is something I would consider.

I think 30 hours is a pretty good outside window if there are no other issues. It's good to see people putting money back into the community like that, I'd much rather help out a fellow in the neighborhood with work than give it to a corporation or big business.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We will be there to help since we've done one before. We are giving him all the parts and making it plug and play. We can do it ourselves but given the circumstances want to help this lad out. For the timing belt my brother helped him and gave him cash for it. The lad is a good kid but is sadly temporariy unemployed.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The lad wanted $300, we are giving him $500 and the old engine and gearbox to refresh and sell. We are going to try and help him get some side business to keep afloat until he lands a new position.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He's in his mid 20s, knowledgeable on cars and down to earth. He's done a bunch of work for us and our neighbors, and we generally do not trust anyone to work on our cars. Trust is earned, and this gent has earned it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts