MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
One note, if you run the PS idle up from Celica D28 to a chassis ground (still through the 4 pin connector so it is easy to disconnect), the ECU will think that the PS is always working super hard and will increase the engine idle speed to around 900 RPM which is better if you have a bigger cam like a MWR or Piper stage 2. Otherwise it only idles up when the EHPS signals it to (when you are using lots of steering assist).

·
Registered
512 Posts
Excellent work sir! If I'd had clean copy like this a couple years ago I might've saved a few hundred on a swap harness. Previous instructions floating around were a bit unclear...

·
Registered
25 Posts
The instructions say to use a 4 pin connector when moving wires from the engine harness to the body. What are these? Is there a reason you can just use a bullet connector? Also adding a wire to chassis for ground, why not just splice into an existing ground?

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
The instructions say to use a 4 pin connector when moving wires from the engine harness to the body. What are these? Is there a reason you can just use a bullet connector? Also adding a wire to chassis for ground, why not just splice into an existing ground?
The 'Four Pin' Connector allows you to pull the Engine harness out of the car, without having to cut the wires.. If you use FOUR Separate connectors you will need to label them upon removal..

Suitable ground works.. Just your wiring preference..

Cap

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 4 pin connector is so you can remove the engine harness without cutting wires, as Cap said. 2 of the ECU plugs are for the engine harness and 2 are for the body harness and you need to pass wires between those 2 sets so a connector is needed for ease of harness removal. 4x bullet connectors could be used but then the wires would need to be labelled. I used a 4 pin deutsch connector as they are easy to install, quick to connect and disconnect and quite sturdy.

For grounding you could splice into another ECU ground (A7 on the Celica ECU that was moved from C6 on the Spyder would work best as it is also on a body harness plug) but I found it very easy to just pick up a chassis ground point from one of the ECU bracket mounting bolts. That way I didn't need to worry about overloading one of the existing ground circuits. On the Celica this wire goes to a simple frame ground (EC means chassis ground on the diagram).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts