MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Green 2zz
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a 2zz put in, but noticed this ticking sound after it warmed up and was driven home. I am not very familiar with these engines, but is this sound normal? I know it's hard to truly diagnose over the internet, but hoping someone who has one can weigh in. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
270 Posts
It's hard to tell from the video. My 2zz sounds a little bit like that. The valve system in the 2zz is slightly louder than the Honda B, H, and K platforms I'm a used to but hardly noticeable in the car while driving. The timing chain tensioner is easy to get at so it doesn't hurt to pull it out and inspect. Before any swap the basics should at least be checked. This includes lift bolts, timing chain guides, oil pickup screen, VVTi screen, cam lobes, valve clearances and a few other things that I'm sure I missed. The intake cam on the 2zz in known to wipe lobes I think.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I suggest someone else on this forum make the same video to compare before you do anything. I seem to recall my 2zz making the same sound.

I did have a 1zz in a Vibe that sounded like a diesel til it warmed up. It always ran fine. A mechanic told me engines have different sounds and if it runs right, you are ok. Maybe, maybe not, but I bet this is a normal sound you are hearing. Just make sure you have plenty of oil in it.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
On my 2ZZ that has a pretty fresh valve adjustment (done when installing stage 2 cams) and a new VVT actuator sprocket, the ticking noise from the injectors is louder than anything else on the top end even when cold.

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Green 2zz
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's only noticeable at idle and up to about 2k rpm before other sounds drown it out/it isn't noticeable. It does not get louder with higher rpms past that, so I am hoping this is just normal. Through other forums and posts I have read, these engines tend to be louder and consensus seems to be this is normal. I went out for a drive today and do not notice any loss of power or other strange sounds while cruising. Lift engages and sounds great (these are really fun!) Are there other things I can check or listen for before opening anything up?

I also looked into checking chain tensioner and it sounds like it becomes a headache removing it on the 2zz. So I am hoping I don't need to do this.

I did not notice any exhaust leaks on startup this morning.

I appreciate the replies (y)

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,591 Posts
The 2ZZ is quite loud at idle. The stock injectors are surprisingly loud. That's why Toyota put a chunk of foam around the intake manifold. When I upgraded my injectors I was quite surprised by how much quieter the engine was. FWIW yours sounds fairly normal for a broken in engine.

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Green 2zz
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is quieter when cold on initial start up. After a few minutes it settles into the sound in that video and stays that level of noise after driving for an hour or so.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Hm ok probably not valve adjustment related. Could be a bit of timing chain rattle once the engine warms and oil pressure goes down at idle and low RPM as the chain tensioner uses oil pressure. Not a lot you can do about that - what oil spec are you using?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I realize this is a year old but the sound is identical to mine. - did you ever figure it out?
If you think our engine is noisy and you haven't checked your valve clearances recently, you really should do so because running with lash out of spec will lead to more expensive failures (like valve seat wear or burned valves) later.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts