MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally found time to address this leak issue on the timing cover seal.

Question is it even doable with out droping the engine?
That pretty much all I need to know.:lol:

-Kiny

·
Registered
1,895 Posts

-Kiny
I would think while it may be possible, you are better off dropping the engine. You have to remove the right side engine mount, belt tensioner, water pump, valve cover, crank position sensor, and the hard part: the crank pulley. You may even have to remove the alternator, but I can't recall off the top of my head. A lot of those parts are next to impossible to get out given the space available. I have removed everything I listed other than the crank pulley while the engine is in the car, but it's much easier with it out.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I would think while it may be possible, you are better off dropping the engine. You have to remove the right side engine mount, belt tensioner, water pump, valve cover, crank position sensor, and the hard part: the crank pulley. You may even have to remove the alternator, but I can't recall off the top of my head. A lot of those parts are next to impossible to get out given the space available. I have removed everything I listed other than the crank pulley while the engine is in the car, but it's much easier with it out.
Don't forget the water pump.

Easier out of the car. But I'd say it's easier to change it in the car than the hassle of pulling the motor.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Don't forget the water pump.

Easier out of the car. But I'd say it's easier to change it in the car than the hassle of pulling the motor.
ahemmm...

You have to remove the right side engine mount, belt tensioner, water pump, valve cover, crank position sensor

·
Registered
998 Posts
How did you know your timing cover leak? I am having a leak on the intake side.. My crank position sensor wires were wet along with some other wires under intake manifold. I'm trying to figure out if it's my timing cover.. or OCV?

·
Registered
961 Posts
No need to drop the engine. Plenty of room. I do suggest removing the trunk/rear hood so you have more headroom and easier time fitting a breaker bar. The bolt that holds onto the belt tensioner has to be removed with vice grips in order to take off the cover. You'll know what I mean when you get there

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im pretty sure it has to be the timing cover seal... that the only thing there...unless more trouble lies when i pop it open eventually. but till then I hope that its.
Runs fine, idles fines, no issues, 30mpg. then the oil leak from the slit.
There are times that you can see oil beening pump out as you rev or idle after oil change.

Done a bit of researching but heck cant really find out if its that or other problems till I actually start working on it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
A bit late but...

...I can confirm 100% that it is, in fact, the timing cover seal. The same thing happened on my 2ZZ. I replaced the valve cover gasket in addition to re-sealing the oil pan TWICE. I even replaced the timing chain tensioner gasket. My leak looks exactly the same! It even puddles up a bit on that little platform part of the block.

I know this is late, but I just figured I'd add to the knowledge base a bit.

·
Registered
109 Posts
D

-Kiny
[/QUOT
Hey s

-Kiny
So, did you drop the motor for the cover gasket?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts