MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my 2zz engine next week and I was wondering...
Why can't we use this?

with this

And a piece of downpipe with O2 sensor hole?

Clears up a lot of space and is still quite cheap?

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Was just a question why we coulnd't.
Doesn't less piping and stuff makes it run better instead?
The proper length of tubing makes for better gas flow on naturally aspirated engines. Manifolds can be tuned for best performance in an rpm range by adjusting the pulse of gas flow. This doesn't seem to have as much impact when a turbo is installed and there is much less space when a turbo is installed. For a NA engine you should do your research and get a well designed header for best performance.

·
Registered
800 Posts
If you use a turbo manifold on a non-turbo 1zz or 2zz, expect to lose 5- 10% peak power and a noticeable loss of peak torque. Part of the loss will be due to poorer flow and part due to significantly worse knock resistance due to extra retained Residual Gas Fraction.

Dave

·
Registered
719 Posts
Because mechanical engineering and design when it comes to manifolds. Use an N/A manifold for the best flow.

You CAN use it..probably shouldn't.

I wouldn't weld anything onto cast iron also, it's notorious for cracking.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a stock 2zz exhaust manifold with heat shield I could sell you for $75. That would work much better than an extra shorty turbo manifold. My manifold is in excellent condition and came off a JDM 2zz with less than 50k.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
There's a coupla slight little problems with this. The first one is that the Celica 2zz manifold will not fit on the Spyder without modification. Unmodified, it will run straight into the cross member. The modification consists of chopping the runners off the flange and welding them back at an angle to clear the crossmember. The second problem is flow reversion. The exit flange needs to be fitted with a proper divided merge else the car will run like donkey pooh because of improper exhaust flow.

·
Registered
170 Posts
There's a coupla slight little problems with this. The first one is that the Celica 2zz manifold will not fit on the Spyder without modification. Unmodified, it will run straight into the cross member. The modification consists of chopping the runners off the flange and welding them back at an angle to clear the crossmember. The second problem is flow reversion. The exit flange needs to be fitted with a proper divided merge else the car will run like donkey pooh because of improper exhaust flow.
Didn't know that. Never tried to fit it to see.

I guess it goes in the trash.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
MerryFrankster
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing