MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Japan!
I hate my current wheels.They are staggered work wheels with some lip rash. Old worn miss matched tires. Current Sizes below. I really don't understand the overstretched 205 on a 9" wheel...

Front:
17x8
205/40/17
Rear:
18x9
205/40/18

I know people prefer to stagger our cars, but can you run the same wheel size but with different widths? For example a 17x7/205 and 17x8/225 front/rear. Will that suffice? I'd like to go for smaller 15s but with a 17 I can use modern Michelin tires. The newest pilot 5's and AS4's.

Attachments

· Registered
2,832 Posts
There is no reason that I know of to have different diameter wheels. The '03+ spyders came with the 15/16 inch combination, but I never figured out why they did that. The reason for staggering the tire widths is to stabilize the car, particularly near the cornering limit. If you know how the car handles with square tires and like the terminal oversteer, then good. Otherwise, I suggest that you figure out what tires you want, and then get wheels of the right size to mount those tires. Tire makers publish recommendations for the maximum and minimum wheel width for any given tire.

· Registered
Hunting for XS-B Meta
130 Posts
I've tried 195/195, 185/205, 205/225, and 225/245. It doesn't matter as much as some people would lead you to believe in my opinion. It is OK to have the same size wheels with different tire sizes or the same wheels with the same tires. Try to keep the outer tire diameters the same.

· Registered
5,808 Posts
Smaller wheels weigh less. Tires vary in weight by manufacturer and specific tire. If have used 15" wheels without issue of finding good tires.

· Registered
2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder
70 Posts
I currently have Kosei K1 Racing wheels on the car (15x7 +38) on all 4 corners with the same size tire (205/50 R15). I prefer a square setup so I can rotate my tires and wanted to keep rotating mass as low as possible with having a small, light wheel. I enjoy how nimble the car feels with this setup. Currently have Silver's NEOMAX coilovers and Whiteline sway bars installed front and rear. With how large of a wheel you have on your MR-S right now it will make a huge difference in handling going to a different setup especially if you get a nice, lightweight, 15" RPF1.

How much power are you making? What are you using your MR-S for? (spirited driving, daily, track use... etc) Some of the people making a good amount of power opt for the larger and wider wheels. If you dig around you'll find quite a bit of threads with many different setups and talk about wheel specs that will give you even more information!

Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive parking light

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am planning on some mild spirited mountain driving, but I have one very annoying problem. I cannot run summers; at least not until I bring the car state side. I will only be in country during the winter months for the next three years. The mountains I would like to visit get into the 20's at night. Day time is usually in the 40's, but those night temps will destroy summers. That's why I was looking at 17's. Simply to be able to use Michelin pilot sport AS3+ or the new AS4. I have experience with AS3+ on an NC Miata. They are closer to summers than they are to normal all seasons.

· Registered
2,583 Posts
There aren't many options in any size for ultra high performance and high performance all-season tires that fit on a Spyder at least in the US. You may have more options in Japan. Most have taller profiles in any given width, so staying near the 23"-24" diameter for a Spyder is difficult, particularly for a front tire. Find tires first, then decide on wheels and wheel size. You may be forced to got "square", or a much taller tire.

Some people run Kuhmo PA31 in 15" but they don't get very high marks. I have Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 on a different car, and they really aren't that impressive in any condition, particularly for the price.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There aren't many options in any size for ultra high performance and high performance all-season tires that fit on a Spyder at least in the US. You may have more options in Japan. Most have taller profiles in any given width, so staying near the 23"-24" diameter for a Spyder is difficult, particularly for a front tire. Find tires first, then decide on wheels and wheel size. You may be forced to got "square", or a much taller tire.

Some people run Kuhmo PA31 in 15" but they don't get very high marks. I have Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 on a different car, and they really aren't that impressive in any condition, particularly for the price.
Do you think a 205/45/17 would fit? The front currently has 205/40/17. Same question for the rear. I'd like to put a 225/45/17 , but I'm a noob when it comes to tire sizes. It's got a 205/40/18 in the rear currently. I'm pretty confident I have room in the rear going down from the 18, but not sure about the front.

· Registered
5,808 Posts
I currently have Kosei K1 Racing wheels on the car (15x7 +38) on all 4 corners with the same size tire (205/50 R15). I prefer a square setup so I can rotate my tires and wanted to keep rotating mass as low as possible with having a small, light wheel. I enjoy how nimble the car feels with this setup. Currently have Silver's NEOMAX coilovers and Whiteline sway bars installed front and rear. With how large of a wheel you have on your MR-S right now it will make a huge difference in handling going to a different setup especially if you get a nice, lightweight, 15" RPF1.

How much power are you making? What are you using your MR-S for? (spirited driving, daily, track use... etc) Some of the people making a good amount of power opt for the larger and wider wheels. If you dig around you'll find quite a bit of threads with many different setups and talk about wheel specs that will give you even more information!

View attachment 94624
View attachment 94623
The 8 spoke Volk CE28n is even lighter, 8 lbs for a 6.5x15 45 offset. The steering feeling is even better with a 185/55r15. I run a 195/50r15 Dunlop ZIII with a 6.5" width 15" CE28n on the front. Lightest wheel I have found. In winter I use a 185 in the front, noticeably lighter steering. If I ever go with Yokohama ADVAN Fleva V701 I would use a 185 ft 205 rr as per Toyota.

· Registered
Weigh, Cut, Weigh, Weld, Glue, Cut, Weigh, Drill
2,456 Posts
Forgot to mention I'm looking at black RPF1's or TE37's to cut down on the weight as much as possible.
If you do lean toward RPF1's (they are great!) be aware that certain offsets don't work with the center caps. The axle will protrude enough that no ENKI cap will fit. I had to have some custom made to complete the look.

· Registered
49 Posts
The mountains I would like to visit get into the 20's at night. Day time is usually in the 40's, but those night temps will destroy summers.
Those temps won't destroy, or even harm, most summer/high performance tires. They'll just be bricks with no grip at those temps. I've attended track days where the morning temps were low 20s and the daily ambient never exceeded 40°F. After a few laps there's enough heat in the tires. It's important to note, of course, that it's impossible (in almost all cases,) to subject tires to the same conditions on public roads. (I'm also aware of what manufacturers state)

I absolutely wouldn't do it, but I'm just saying you won't destroy them.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The above tires are what I want to run because It's consistently below freezing here in kanagawa Japan. I'm looking at Konig's now. My question now is what offset/width should I go with? My choices varying between 7.5-8 wide and the offsets are 35, 42, and 45. Is there an ideal width/offset for the above sizes?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I still want the RPF1's, but they only come in these sizes. I'm assuming 7" width is too small for 225? Also still don't know which offset works best for the car and above tires. Sorry for being such a rookie. I've always run original wheels with my Miatas. This is my first time buying wheels for a car. 😅

17x7354x100
17x7434x100

1 - 20 of 27 Posts