MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has swapped just the head on a zz motor. What I am looking at is throwing a 2ZZGE head on my 1ZZ motor. Anyone have first hand experience with this and what is involved? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has swapped just the head on a zz motor. What I am looking at is throwing a 2ZZGE head on my 1ZZ motor. Anyone have first hand experience with this and what is involved? Thanks.
Dude, you had better put on a flame-resistant suit... quick...:ukliam2:

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
A 2ZZ head won't fit on a 1ZZ. The bore sizes are different, as are the distances between the bore centers. That's not all, but it's enough.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
A 2ZZ head won't fit on a 1ZZ. The bore sizes are different, as are the distances between the bore centers. That's not all, but it's enough.
Yeah, but besides all of that...will it fit?

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
It's been done. It's called the Frankenberry.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I belive Trial Co. Japan did some swap like this didnt they? like combining some parts of the 1zz and 2zz. Isnt it what they called a "3zz" or was that something else?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I belive Trial Co. Japan did some swap like this didnt they? like combining some parts of the 1zz and 2zz. Isnt it what they called a "3zz" or was that something else?
3ZZ is something else, you don't want to swap one in. :lol:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Yeah, but besides all of that...will it fit?

Time to get out the old trusty grinder, duct tape, bailing wire, etc.

All things are possible. :lol:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
So much easier than having to get out the extension cord!

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
You have to cut the cylinder walls a bit for valve clearance. Search my name, I posted a drawing for a block you can machine to guide a drill bit to do the clearancing for you.

And it isn't a 3zz, you have half a 1zz and half a 2zz, it's a 1.5zz, or as Dev said, a frankenberry as we call it.

Shame on you guys for telling him it can't be done.

Edit: Here's my post

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
If you're actually interested in getting some head work done, look here:
http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_198_205&products_id=818

This'll get your head breathing easier... although you'll get better bang for your buck with a turbo.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
We looked into this a LONG time ago. The bore centers are actually the same, but the bores are far smaller, the block lacks the valve reliefs needed, and moreover there is no oil passage to feed oil to the variable lift mechanism or the oil shower that lubricates the rockers.

In short its way cheaper to buy a new 2ZZ bottom end than it would be to modify a 1ZZ bottom end to fit it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts