MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I'm Roy from Holland and bought a MR2. I really love this car only the engine is not that special so i'm thinking of swapping it. The v6 swap is nice but i want something with a nice sound. A V10 would be very nice of course but maybe a little to extreme and heavy. :biggrin-new: Did lots of research and the engine i want to use for my swap is a VW R32 engine. The 3.2 VR6 has a perfect sound and is a very compact engine. That engine and a VW 6 speed LSD gearbox would make this a perfect car in my eyes. What do you guys think? Anyone did this before? Didn't see anything on the internet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 1zz is 19" long roughly with about a 2" space to the side rail. Is the VR6 motor less then 21"?
Hy! I all ready did all the measurements and the Vr6 should find. I'm only not sure about the original intake manifold but i can make a new one if it's to big. The Vr6 engine is 19.3 inch long from the rear of the engines to the front of the cranky pulley. VW also has some very short gearboxes with 3 shafts instead of 2. I still have to measure one but I would not be surprised if it is a lot shorter than the Toyota one.

·
Registered
103 Posts
As cool as it would be to see, I don't think it would be a great match in terms of weight. I'd guestimate that the VR6 weighs almost twice as much as a 1ZZ.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
Give it a try. There never would have been a 2zz swap if someone didn't try it the first time. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As cool as it would be to see, I don't think it would be a great match in terms of weight. I'd guestimate that the VR6 weighs almost twice as much as a 1ZZ.

Did a quick look at the net and it seems the VR6 is about 60kg heavier than the 2zz. I don't think is far of the 2GR-FE engine.

Give it a try. There never would have been a 2zz swap if someone didn't try it the first time. Let us know how it goes.
Yes i will keep you guys updated. I'm going to look at an engine tomorrow :naughty:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Did a quick look at the net and it seems the VR6 is about 60kg heavier than the 2zz. I don't think is far of the 2GR-FE engine.
130lb sure seems like a lot of weight to add to the rear for a car that already has a rear weight bias.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
130lb sure seems like a lot of weight to add to the rear for a car that already has a rear weight bias.
Yes okay but how much do you think it will influence the handling ? What do the 2GR-FE say?

·
Registered
255 Posts
For the price of that build you could probably buy multiple LS swapped miatas

There is no V8 swapped Miatas for sale in Europe. Not very common over here.
But R32s come plentiful. I like his swap idea.

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Sounds like a unique doable swap. I say go for it.

·
Registered
23,072 Posts
This would be a great swap. I like the fact that the bulk of the intake manifold is above the exhaust manifold so there should not be any clearance issues against the firewall.
This may save you a lot of custom fabrication.

The only issue I see is the sump which might end up sitting too low.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Like R32 swapped miatas?
No never seen a R32 swapped miata :p. But the 3.2 Vr6 is more common over here than a LS.

This would be a great swap. I like the fact that the bulk of the intake manifold is above the exhaust manifold so there should not be any clearance issues against the firewall.
This may save you a lot of custom fabrication.

The only issue I see is the sump which might end up sitting too low.
I think it is a very nice engine for the car! But im still not sure the original intake will fit. Its very big also at the intake side. We will see.

Here are some photo's from the engine i picked up today :biggrin-new:

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wheight the long block today and it is 143.3kg or 315lbs. Anyone knows how much the 1ZZ long block is?

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Weight the engine today and it is 143.3Kg or 315.9lbs that's without the flywheel. Anyobne knows how much the 1zz long block weighs?

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Not quite as heavy as I expected. I really hope you are able to pull this off. If you do I think I'll be first in line to replicate it. The VR6 is one of the best sounding engines out there and the power is just right for the Spyder.

·
Registered
23,072 Posts
It's a lot lighter than I expected it to be. Just a guess but it's only 60lbs more the a 2zz.
The VR engine having the same firing order as a straight 6 is the best engine configuration in terms of quality of power, strength and sound.
I would take this over a k20 if it can be worked out. I'm surprised no one entertained this swap before considering the dementions are ideal.

I just hope the the intake manifold doesn't interfere with the firewall.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes i think its very nice engine for this car. Direct throttle response and lots of torque and of-course the sound with the top down B)

I dont know how it is in your country but over here you have a lot of rules to get this engine legal in the car. One of them is the weight on the rear axle may not exceed 735kg. So i had to get the car weight today and i can still add 155kg before i get to the limit also the fuel-tank was around 65% full. Of-course i hope to get the weight as low as possible.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 181 Posts