MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my '03 Spyder in February, and I've been interested in upgrading the center console. I like the one on Midship Garage, but I decided to go a simpler route. I pulled the ashtray and cupholders out, and I created a custom 2-piece prototype out of wood. I'm modeling the parts in FreeCAD and planning to print a permanent copy out of ABS, or something similar. Attached are pictures of the wooden mock up and the first piece of the 3D model. Unfortunately, SpyderChat doesn't let me upload STL files, or I'd put that here too. I'll make the final model freely available when I'm done. I'm not great at modeling, so if anyone out there is more CAD-artistic, feel free to reach out and I can send you the FreeCAD design files. I'm making a spot for a single cup and a cubby to hold my phone. The vertical piece will eventually have the CLA and a USB port for my stereo.

Material property Cylinder Rectangle Font Diagram
Engineering Font Cylinder Diagram Parallel
Vehicle Automotive design Gear shift Vehicle door Motor vehicle

·
Registered
Yellow 2002 Spyder
170 Posts
I've got a large format 3D printer, a CAD license, and some interest. If you shoot me a DM, I can give you my email address to send a model to!

Reactions: pwnzor

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm very interested in this, I just removed the ashtray to install a Tein EDFC controller. This looks even more stable (and much cleaner), and a better cupholder to boot. Awesome idea!

·
Registered
2001 Red MR2 Spyder, 1ZZ w/C56
171 Posts
I bought my '03 Spyder in February, and I've been interested in upgrading the center console. I like the one on Midship Garage, but I decided to go a simpler route. I pulled the ashtray and cupholders out, and I created a custom 2-piece prototype out of wood. I'm modeling the parts in FreeCAD and planning to print a permanent copy out of ABS, or something similar. Attached are pictures of the wooden mock up and the first piece of the 3D model. Unfortunately, SpyderChat doesn't let me upload STL files, or I'd put that here too. I'll make the final model freely available when I'm done. I'm not great at modeling, so if anyone out there is more CAD-artistic, feel free to reach out and I can send you the FreeCAD design files. I'm making a spot for a single cup and a cubby to hold my phone. The vertical piece will eventually have the CLA and a USB port for my stereo.

View attachment 90653 View attachment 90654 View attachment 90655
This looks so cool. I do DoorDash with mine but I already have a bag that can hold my drinks. However, the radio I put in my car sticks out a little bit more than the stock cupholders can hold and I would love to have this. How can I pay for one myself?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't plan to sell them. I'm just going to upload the files online and you can 3D print them for "free". If you don't have a 3D printer, I would suggest asking around your home town and see if there's a maker-space that could print it for you. There are some online services that will do it for a price. My guess is you can probably have it printed and delivered for under $50, but I won't know until I upload it and see.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Yellow 2002 Spyder
170 Posts
Public update: I've printed this part at full scale and found it to be a great start, however it will need some refinement to be considered ready for market (at least in my opinion). I'm going to be doing more development work over the next little while, and with any luck will have a part that I would feel satisfied releasing to the public with an open-source CAD model and (potentially) printed models.

Reactions: jeffreyfranz

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Public update: I've printed this part at full scale and found it to be a great start, however it will need some refinement to be considered ready for market (at least in my opinion). I'm going to be doing more development work over the next little while, and with any luck will have a part that I would feel satisfied releasing to the public with an open-source CAD model and (potentially) printed models.
Pics or it didn't happen

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've finished a draft of the vertical piece. This should fill the gap between the stereo and the base of the console. I've placed three 32mm holes in it to fit standard 30mm sockets. I found a ton of options online. My plan is to put a CLA on the right (any cups in the holder will block this one most of the time), a true USB port for my stereo in the center, and a USB charger port with a voltmeter on the left.
Rectangle Font Sky Circle Electric blue

·
Registered
03 Spyder - en route // 16 Veloster R - going soon // 01 Spyder - former love
21 Posts
Oh that's a nice idea for the three port opening. What are you thinking with regards to how to refinish it or cover it so that it melds better with the interior? My uses of 3D printing have always been for much dumber things (cosplay, house plants, etc 😂 ) so I'm not savvy on how to make it look like it belongs. My first thought is "well there's always bondo..." (don't trust me with anything of value)--I'm imagining a more curved edge to match up with the curves of the braces along the side of the console, and the transmission console, shift lip, etc. And regardless of that, what are you thinking for finishing? A wrap, upholstery, paint? Are you thinking of joining it to the extant transmission console and media/hvac console? Anchoring it to the floor?

I really love a good DIY solution, so I'm super excited about your project and I don't THINK I have any knowledge or skills to contribute, but I'm nonetheless very into. I'm going to look into finding a place in my area where I can 3D print at this size. Gotta get on board with this fun :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm going to bevel the edges the best I can in the CAD design. probably a 4mm bevel on all exterior edges. As far as the grainy-ness of the print, I think that depends a lot on the printer. I have seen some newer printers that do amazing level of detail, but I may sand it down when I'm done, or run it through a tumbler. I probably will not cover it. I'll just print in black ABS.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The layer lines on the print are mostly a result of layer height and orientation, but also come from bad settings or a miscalibrated printer. You could always prime and sand it if you want a smoother look.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you everyone for your patience and interest. I updated the vertical panel, deleting one of the utility holes and replacing with an embossed chicken. I also added support tabs in the back to keep it from dismounting, and beveled the edges. let me know what you think.
Rectangle Font Circle Electric blue Logo

1 - 20 of 32 Posts