MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tracked down a 3d scan and then had it printed. I am curious to how it turned out. I have seen a few videos with people tracking down an OEM one and the height looks perfect for driving.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The files I found on thingiverse. And the main body was a good fit, but the front face trim didn't really snap fit into the body. If you have the 3d printer, it wouldn't be to hard to make something similar in fusion 360

·
Registered
Spectra Blue 2003 SMT with Quaife LSD
370 Posts
There is another thread I started which I believe has the links to the files. I printed the face part and then gave up on doing things that way. The parts aren’t really useful for a modern application, and anyways would work much better injection molded. My engineering job takes too much of my design energy to be able to work on this, but what someone needs to do is design a housing that positions the screen farther forward and is made to fit standard screens, and do the injection mold design. Then they can do a group buy and it will help offset the development cost and bring the overall cost per unit down to something reasonable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's 2 parts, if trimmed a 7" raspberry pi display can fit in there nicely, the scans originally posted to thingiverse are high quality scans and my issue working with the model, is I need more ram for my computer to work on it in fusion360 or blender.

·
Registered
Black 2001 MR2 Spyder
57 Posts
There is another thread I started which I believe has the links to the files.
I think this was the thread you mean.
I found it prohibitively costly to 3D-print directly.
It might be doable with sintering, but unless you own the machine, it seemed to expensive to contract out. :(

I also agree that the original NavPod isn't terribly useful for a modern application. Something that could hold a modern 7" touch screen would be best.
Something like the "floating screen" design that's become popular lately would be a nice improvement, IMO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I finished printing one about 2 weeks ago, I test fit it and its a great fit. I printed in PLA+ (I know heat and sun) and plan on wrapping it in a vinyl faux leather (like the dash). It was printed in 2 parts with one taking about 7 hours and the other 10 hours. I may try mock it up so my phone will just snap in it.

I'll get some pics up asap.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I finished printing one about 2 weeks ago, I test fit it and its a great fit. I printed in PLA+ (I know heat and sun) and plan on wrapping it in a vinyl faux leather (like the dash). It was printed in 2 parts with one taking about 7 hours and the other 10 hours. I may try mock it up so my phone will just snap in it.

I'll get some pics up asap.
what do your layer lines look like?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts