MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been 3D designing things for a long time, mostly weapon mods, but I figured maybe y'all might have some wise ideas for upgraded interior parts (or just a demand for reasonably priced replacement parts) that I could prototype.

OR if you've already designed something, I'd love to see it /try it out!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep. They are "fender extensions" per toyota, but I believe their purpose is to act as air dams.
Ok I have these I could probably scan them and print copies. The trouble is the originals are flexible polypropylene, 3D printing is a hard plastic that may not hold up to road hazards.

·
Registered
7,105 Posts
Really? Awesome. How much for a pair? I don't think the area in front of the tires sees much in the way of debris. They will probably be fine so long as the car isn't lifted recklessly by someone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really? Awesome. How much for a pair? I don't think the area in front of the tires sees much in the way of debris. They will probably be fine so long as the car isn't lifted recklessly by someone.
Oh that's in front of the tire? Maybe I'm confused on what part this is, I was thinking it was the front tire mud flaps that sit after the tire, closer to the door.

·
Registered
7,105 Posts
They are located in front of the rear wheels, and were introduced in 2003+ models, I believe. I only possess one side. Mirroring it should produce the opposite side, and I can send you mine if it would result in these becoming available for purchase.

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
190 Posts
These are definitely a rare accoutrement to track down and a pretty cool little fairing. I'm glad this came back up.

Some Background info:
1622916686154.png

The Toyota part numbers are:
58742-17020 LH
58741-17020 RH

LH remains to be purchased for what I could scrape from the major wholesalers, but generally not available. Been meaning to plop the part in my basket to start and start with a digital caliper, then maybe mirror it with software.

I have only really only have limited experience in PLA, but wondered about ABS in this application finished with sanding / paint.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
They are located in front of the rear wheels, and were introduced in 2003+ models, I believe. I only possess one side. Mirroring it should produce the opposite side, and I can send you mine if it would result in these becoming available for purchase.
I think it would be better to get the print and make a mold for something stronger. The constant hot/cold warps PLA and ABS is super brittle. Rocks thrown at it from the tires will beat it up. Not stopping you from doing what you want to do, but I struggled with prints under stress (heat/pressure) until I finally paid for injection molding and all of my problems were solved.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it would be better to get the print and make a mold for something stronger. The constant hot/cold warps PLA and ABS is super brittle.
I agree, I don't have a vinyl print head or I'd suggest that instead since it's more flexible, but PLA will definitely break. I rarely use ABS anymore since it warps so much, PETG might do the trick though.

I do have these on my car (03) so I'll give it try. It'll probably be about $20 in supplies plus whatever shipping is your location

·
Registered
30 Posts

I think these might be pretty popular. The MAF mod is something a lot of people want to do. Maybe send a prototype to Cap just to make sure it's the proper fit and height, he's the one who figured that stuff out. He's the freaking MAN!!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I agree, I don't have a vinyl print head or I'd suggest that instead since it's more flexible, but PLA will definitely break. I rarely use ABS anymore since it warps so much, PETG might do the trick though.

I do have these on my car (03) so I'll give it try. It'll probably be about $20 in supplies plus whatever shipping is your location
How did you get ahold of a scanner? Are you a pro?

·
Registered
Black 2001 MR2 Spyder
28 Posts
Ok I have these I could probably scan them and print copies. The trouble is the originals are flexible polypropylene, 3D printing is a hard plastic that may not hold up to road hazards.
Are you able to print in TPU?
It's a nice, flexible, material.

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Green 2zz
26 Posts
If you can print navpods for a reasonable price I think you'd have a lot of interest. I know there are some plans out there and the material would need to stand up to dashboard sun heat levels.

·
Registered
Black 2001 MR2 Spyder
28 Posts
If you can print navpods for a reasonable price I think you'd have a lot of interest. I know there are some plans out there and the material would need to stand up to dashboard sun heat levels.
I have a backup (.7z archive) of the .STL files Abbott Smith originally made. You can't seem to find them on Thingiverse anymore.
It's a huge print though, and from my digging, even with SLS printing, it seems prohibitively expensive.
But I agree, if someone could do it and make it financially viable, there'd be takers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts