MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I''m a current SW20 owner with a 3sgte and my girlfriend owns a MR-S. We are thinking about doing a 3SGE BEAMS swap into it. Reasons being, NA reliability, power curves, different, price etc... I don't want to turn this into a "just do a 2zz or turbo the 1zz" type of thread or "do a 3sgte thread". BEAMS is the motor we've decided on and I'm having trouble finding information on the things needed to swap.

I know that plenty of people have done a 3sgte swap in the the MR-S which means the 3sge is more than possible being that it is the same block and head design, and requires less work with there being no intercooler needed. For the people that did 3sgte swaps what is needed to fit the motor? custom motor mounts? where do I get them? what else?

The plan right now is to purchase a sw20 rear clip with a 3sge beams for the swap, this would be complete with practically everything needed to swap I assume. They usually come with ECU, harness, motor, trans, intake, exhaust pretty much everything. Other than being a complete clip, I assume this is also the easiest beams platform to go with because it is from another midship and we don't have to deal with what trans to go with or backwards motor config etc... If we go this route what else would we need to complete the swap? besides custom exhaust

·
Registered
742 Posts
If they can get a 3SGTE in the Beams will be no issue.

I would definitely not waste your money on a MR2 clip but rather a Celica Beams Clip.

And then if you want to SC it will be easy as everything will fit nicely :)

Or if you want a balls all out the C38-91 to get 500 RWHP if the car can handle it

·
Registered
199 Posts
I haven't done one personally, but traditionally, motor swaps require new or redesigned motor mount's, possibly fabrication to weld in new mounting locations,

You may have clearance issues with several parts of the motor that may need to be addressed (intake / exhaust manifolds)

You may need to relocate the battery out of the bay for more room, you may need to get custom axels made.

As with all motor swaps you're also looking at a bit of custom wiring, and relocation of various components.

Also expect needing a lot of new lines, fuel, coolant, evap, vaccum, and T's and adapters.

Depending on the location of the trans you may need new custom shifter cables. Also possibly needing new or custom throttle cables.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
3SGE BEAMS swap into MR-S, What is needed?
Money & time.

Motor mounts, transmission & axles will be your first sticky points (which trans do you want to use?)
Do you need to run the stock spyder dashboard & A/C? Need OBDII? Those will be complicated a bit, wiring-wise. Not impossible, but complicated.

There is a reason 98% of the Spyder engine swaps have been 2ZZs....

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Hi,

I''m a current SW20 owner with a 3sgte and my girlfriend owns a MR-S. We are thinking about doing a 3SGE BEAMS swap into it. Reasons being, NA reliability, power curves, different, price etc... I don't want to turn this into a "just do a 2zz or turbo the 1zz" type of thread or "do a 3sgte thread". BEAMS is the motor we've decided on and I'm having trouble finding information on the things needed to swap.

I know that plenty of people have done a 3sgte swap in the the MR-S which means the 3sge is more than possible being that it is the same block and head design, and requires less work with there being no intercooler needed. For the people that did 3sgte swaps what is needed to fit the motor? custom motor mounts? where do I get them? what else?

The plan right now is to purchase a sw20 rear clip with a 3sge beams for the swap, this would be complete with practically everything needed to swap I assume. They usually come with ECU, harness, motor, trans, intake, exhaust pretty much everything. Other than being a complete clip, I assume this is also the easiest beams platform to go with because it is from another midship and we don't have to deal with what trans to go with or backwards motor config etc... If we go this route what else would we need to complete the swap? besides custom exhaust

You can't find the swap because there is really not a lot of point aside from cool factor fo a Beams swap. The 2ZZ is lighter, and will make more power either NA or FI, and there no complexity to the swap. The BEAMS you could probably get a E153 kit from MWR and at least have the benefit of 3 of your mounts done and your axles done. Pass. side mount and wiring won't be too bad. I'm not 100% sure on intake manifold fitment, but the firewall meta is easy enough to deal with.,

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
2ZZ 192 hp, Beams 200 hp. And probaby has more torque.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I know this might just sound strange but what about the new scion 2.5 ltr motor?? The reason I say this is the following.
1. It has more Torque then the 2zz or the beams.
2. You get to keep your OBD2
3. Parts are easily available on the USDM market when they fail.
4. Comes with a 6speed LSD option
5. Far more aftermarket options
6. Fairly light weight due to it's AL engine design.

Wiring well who cares about that let Doug aka MR220v figure it out. I'm sure his more then good enough to get the harness and bits working.

Your biggest hurdle would be the axles. I have a brand new short block laying around and I think it uses a c-series trans. Maybe if I have some free time I could take a look and see how things mount up.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Hardest part for someone who isn't an electrically engineer is wiring harness probably, axles are easy since they make the e153 swap and any axle is actually easy, just MRS cv out, whatever engine cv in and measures axle length

·
Registered
232 Posts
What was the shop in the uk that did GTE swaps? Rouge? I don't remember, anywho it's been done but with 3sgte so if youre really interested just search their mounts, axle and shifter setups, iirc I read somewhere that 202 celica front spindles press into the rear bearings on a Spyder so axles shouldn't seem TOO difficult and wiring is simple once you get a pin out of the Spyder body harness

Personally for me if your going to waste the time fabing something into the car put a worthy engine, go with a K series and never look back, even a standard 2.4 will be worlds ahead of any 2zz swap

·
Registered
742 Posts
Rogue has done it and most likely have the parts engineered. I wouldn't add a E153 if it were to stay N/A.
But the E153 is one of the most indestructible gear boxes around and with a new price of $2,800 is the best by a long mile.
Im not one for changing engines that werent in the car original little lone changing brands.

·
Registered
742 Posts
You can't find the swap because there is really not a lot of point aside from cool factor fo a Beams swap. The 2ZZ is lighter, and will make more power either NA or FI, and there no complexity to the swap. The BEAMS you could probably get a E153 kit from MWR and at least have the benefit of 3 of your mounts done and your axles done. Pass. side mount and wiring won't be too bad. I'm not 100% sure on intake manifold fitment, but the firewall meta is easy enough to deal with.,

Here comes that line again " cool factor ?"

All the guys working on GEN2,3 3SGTE' are trying to get all the things the Beams has standard.
Head design
bigger valves
COP's
VVTi
Isolated plenum with long runners and trumpet design
etc etc

Its a great starting engine to begin with out of the box.

Having said that i would still build a 2ZZ properly first

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Not what the OP asked, but here's the 2nd reason why I would not entertain a Beams - stock ST215 engine through an E153, through a stock cat, with the only mods being an MBC, exhaust and slightly upgraded IC. About 60% of the cost of a Red Top. This won't win many bench races, but it's very impressive for an $1100 engine.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Not what the OP asked, but here's the 2nd reason why I would not entertain a Beams - stock ST215 engine through an E153, through a stock cat, with the only mods being an MBC, exhaust and slightly upgraded IC. About 60% of the cost of a Red Top. This won't win many bench races, but it's very impressive for an $1100 engine.
Talk about "pulling like a tractor" ! ! !

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Here comes that line again " cool factor ?"

All the guys working on GEN2,3 3SGTE' are trying to get all the things the Beams has standard.
Head design
bigger valves
COP's
VVTi
Isolated plenum with long runners and trumpet design
etc etc

Its a great starting engine to begin with out of the box.

Having said that i would still build a 2ZZ properly first
Yeah - cool factor. It is cool to contemplate a beams into a spyder because its fairly unique. I've had, built and tuned 3S-GE, 1st, second and 3rd gen 3S-GTE and a 3S-GE BEAMS motor. I am very familiar with all of them. And I din't think ANY of them are the best choice for the spyder.

The beams motor is heavier and has an inferior head design when compared to the 2ZZ. For certain its better than a normal 3S-GTE, but there is a VERY long list of motors better than the 3S-GTE these days.

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
If I was going to waste that much time it better be for something that will pull it's own weight and it would have to be far superior to the 2zz.

I would do the V6 swap and be done with it because no matter how you stack it, it will have a lot more wow factor stationary and while driven in a straight line.

Griffin analysis is right in that the 2zz is superior just for the fact that it weights less and weighing less for this car in the corners is key.

If I wanted to swap I would be looking for a more modern engine with a timing chain.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.