MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was originally going to call the thread 3 bulbs per tail, but that would probably confuse folks. So instead I'm just letting people know how many bulbs I now have in each tail light. When the mod for turning the inner brake light only 7440 bulb socket to a 7443 bulb socket to allow for two running lights per side I thought that I would jump on that band wagon. When I took apart my tail lights. I noticed that on the 2004 tail light the middle reflector bowl, isn't flat like the preface lift cars. So I opted for adding LED panels in there. Needless to say the LEDs were disappointing. So it led me to further looking into adding another bulb and socket there.

And that what I spent this morning doing.

I'll post pictures of the sockets installed and what they look like lit up in daylight and at night.

Before on bottom (w/ Norbert mod)... After on top:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I just looked up the other thread on this and noticed you mentioned the middle reflector is not as deep as the inner and outer. Any clearance issues in the middle with a std bulb? Is it so close it may melt or crack the lens long term?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are the night shots. They go in the order of DRLs on, Brake Lights on, and a far away shot of the DRLs on. I would have posted the brake lights on far away shot but my camera wasn't able to get a good picture. It all looked like a blur of three red lights.

IMG_2685.jpg
IMG_2686.jpg
IMG_2687.jpg

Here is a video clip of the lights. My brother is in the car, so that's who I'm talking to in the video.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Nice work, they look nice and bright.

The last wiring diagram sort of explains everything, but I wanted to make sure:

1. You ADDED a 7443 socket & bulb to the middle reflector
2. You CHANGED inner brake light to 7443 socket and bulb.
3. You WIRED the middle reflector and inner brake light to behave like outer brake light.

Is that what is going on here?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice work, they look nice and bright.

The last wiring diagram sort of explains everything, but I wanted to make sure:

1. You ADDED a 7443 socket & bulb to the middle reflector
2. You CHANGED inner brake light to 7443 socket and bulb.
3. You WIRED the middle reflector and inner brake light to behave like outer brake light.

Is that what is going on here?
Yeah just to reiterate:

Started by removing the INNER 7440 socket and replacing it with a 7443 socket. Allowing for running/brake ability versus the brake only ability from the factory.

Finished by drilling and take a dremel to the MIDDLE bowl. Removed post that the wire harness is attached to. Drilled out and shaped center of middle bowl making it as close to a 20mm hole to allow socket to insert and yet be snug. Inserted 7443 socket and bulb. Wired to existing wires from INNER 7443 mod.

Inner, middle and outer bulbs are ALL 7443.
Inner, middle and outer ALL function as RUNNING/BRAKE.

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
I'm not a fan of the 03 up tails, but this mod makes me consider them.

Great work and an excellent write up! I view this mod as a safety mod as well since it makes the brake lights more noticeable and the spyder more visible at night.

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,822 Posts
Agreed, great job. As I am running out of things that I want to do (improve) on my car, I think I will put this on my bucket list.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks guys. Yeah it was an appearance mod that I was definitely set of trying to at least achieve the "look" of the solid lights on bottom. But it definitely makes a difference in the visibility of the car.

I got followed last night by a pre-face light spyder (I know the owner's daughter and son-in-law), just because they wanted to comment on the rear tails.

Also another note this isn't an expensive mod at all for the guys that already have the face lift rear tails.

My total cost: roughly $25

4x 7443 sockets from eBay $8 shipped
4x 7443 bulbs from AutoZone ~$14 (replaced inner 7440 and add 7443 on middle)

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,822 Posts
Thanks guys. Yeah it was an appearance mod that I was definitely set of trying to at least achieve the "look" of the solid lights on bottom. But it definitely makes a difference in the visibility of the car.

I got followed last night by a pre-face light spyder (I know the owner's daughter and son-in-law), just because they wanted to comment on the rear tails.

Also another note this isn't an expensive mod at all for the guys that already have the face lift rear tails.

My total cost: roughly $25

4x 7443 sockets from eBay $8 shipped
4x 7443 bulbs from AutoZone ~$14 (replaced inner 7440 and add 7443 on middle)
Do the 7443 sockets come with gaskets on them? I seldom drive my car in wet conditions but I wonder if the modified assembly is water tight and free from condensation.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts