MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a 2001 Mr2 Spyder and my transmission just failed. My 3rd gear was having some noise when I shifted into it, my 4th would fall out into neutral, and shifting was sometimes too difficult. Now my engine only revs to under 3k unless it is in neutral.

I'm going to replace the transmission now, and am looking for some advice. I was looking at Monkey Wrench Racing, and was looking at the used 5 or 6 speed transmissions.

I'm not sure if I should splurge for an LSD. I don't think my car came with one.

Any advice for a car newbie?

TLDR; 5 speed or 6 speed and LSD or not for 1zz.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a 5 speed and would like to upgrade to a 6 speed for better highway cruising. An lsd depends on wether you drive hard/track the car.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Most of the 6 speeds that you will encounter have different final drive ratios, and that will determine whether they are for cruising. The euro 6 speeds are geared high for cruising, and the 6 speeds that came on 2zz cars are geared low to take advantage of the astronomical redline of that engine.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Most of the 6 speeds that you will encounter have different final drive ratios, and that will determine whether they are for cruising. The euro 6 speeds are geared high for cruising, and the 6 speeds that came on 2zz cars are geared low to take advantage of the astronomical redline of that engine.
This is great advice and if going 6 speed you should base the final drive ratio off of your main use of the car

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Dont really need an LSD on a street car.

A c60 6 speed is a nice upgrade. You get better acceleration plus a extra 6th gear that will let your cruise at lower speed on the highway than the 5speed.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
I am looking at getting a 6sp this month. I like the original 5sp ratio with the 4.3 final so I will purchase one from MWR (new?) with the .725 6th ratio and 4.3 final. It isn't needed but I will probably go with LSD also. I need to give them a call with some questions next week.

If you want my old 5sp after I get the new one installed send me a PM.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My second car is a corolla xrs with the 2zz and c60. Even with the shorter gears I find that it cruises better at highway speeds than the mr2.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
It isn't needed but I will probably go with LSD also.
I like the LSD. You won’t notice it much on most roads but it gives me more confidence knowing it’s there when it’s needed. If I go hard on switchbacks, traveling to and from my house, the non-LSD will have one wheel spin where the LSD will slip slightly then grab again.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Here the list of each transmission that can be swaped into the MR-S : Transmission swap
Each top speed are in km/h. You will have to convertered it in mph.

If you want better mileage without sacrifying acceleration, go for Celica 1ZZ transmission.
If you want better acceleration, go for Corolla GTS 2ZZ C64 transmission.
If you want better mileage, go for MR-S 1ZZ C60 transmission.
If you like sliding a lot/little bit, go for LSD.

All depend of the money you have for used transmission.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
We have 2 Spyders and both have 6-speeds. One is a converted SMT 6-speed, which has the same final drive and first 5 ratios as the standard 5-speed and no LSD. The only advantage is about 400 less RPM in 6th at 70 compared to 5th. That is more relaxing on the highway.

The other has a Euro 6-speed which has the 3.9 final drive and slightly different 3rd and 4th gear ratios and LSD. That lowers RPM at 70 almost 700 RPM compared to the standard 5-speed. The LSD offers almost no advantage with the stock 1ZZ on dry roads and the taller gears are a slight disadvantage on back roads as the RPM drop on shifts is slightly more than the other transmissions.

I like the LSD. You won’t notice it much on most roads but it gives me more confidence knowing it’s there when it’s needed. If I go hard on switchbacks, traveling to and from my house, the non-LSD will have one wheel spin where the LSD will slip slightly then grab again.
Exactly correct

If your driving is mainly on tight twisty roads, the standard 5-speed or converted SMT work very well. If more of your driving is open roads or highway, the Euro 6-speed is a bit nicer. Interesting enough, the fuel mileage is almost exactly the same with both.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Last year my 5spd bit the dust. DDPR ordered a new 6spd smt from Toyota. I don’t really notice the lsd, but there is more grip accelerating during a turn. The lower 400 rpm’s in sixth gear makes a difference, 80 mph is about 3,600 rpm.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Spyder chat user rande might still have a 6 speed. He had 2 and I bought one. Send him a message to see if he still has 1 left.

Mine is great.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I like it too. You have to be comfortable with the rear end of the car moving out. I have the full tire stagger, and the car stabilizes very quickly when traction is reengaged. This is the best handling rear engine car that I have ever driven, and it is a good step beyond the AW11 and the Fiat X19 which I drove in past lives.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I too have a 6 speed w/lsd. 4.52 final drive.
I'm running larger 16,17 Lotus Elise wheels. Cap Weir's famous MAF mod. Car pulls hard off the line. Still have the 1zz motor. I do lot of driving through the Santa Cruz mountains. Six speed is the way to go!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have the Euro 6-speed which has the 3.9 final drive and LSD.

My "Seat Of The Pants" impression is that 0-30 MPH times are longer. Because I don't use my Spyder to drag race, I find the slightly lower performance to be a non-issue.

Because I like to sometime cruise the Interstates (earlier this week I was on I-70 in MD) where, at least here on the East Coast, "Pack Cruising Speeds" can go as high as 80-85 MPH, the sixth gear really shines. Entering the Interstate on access lanes that often lack sufficient length to "Catch Up" to the fast movers, I find that running high RPMs in gears 2-4 allows me to attain sufficient speed and power so that I can shift directly from 4th to 6th gear without bogging down my nearly stock 1ZZ engine.

On most of my local "Twisty Roads," I find that I need to drop from 4th to third going into the turns. Then stay in third gear as I accelerate out of the turn. On really tight turns, I might even stay in second gear until the road straightens out.

In terms of my experience with the LSD, as of now, I can't say that I have actually experienced it working.

BTW, I found that installing a short shifter really improves my overall driving experience.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I have the Euro 6-speed which has the 3.9 final drive and LSD.

My "Seat Of The Pants" impression is that 0-30 MPH times are longer. Because I don't use my Spyder to drag race, I find the slightly lower performance to be a non-issue.
Standing start is the only condition where the final drive ratio has a major effect on acceleration. Once in motion, it just changes shift points, and this will give slightly better acceleration at some speeds and slightly worse at others.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I don't think a 5 or 6 speed matters when your car will only rev to 3k , sounds like he should be shopping for a engine / trans combo deal .....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts