MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the subject of gear swapping, it was pointed out that the (2003+) Corolla 5th gear has the following tooth count:

New 2003 Corolla 5th Driven gear has 29 teeth
New 2003 Corolla 5th gear has 40 teeth

29/40 = 0.725 ... for the 5th gear ratio.

That got me wondering what the stock 5th gear and 'driven gear' teeth counts are?

I was wondering if combining the gears (in some way) might yield a lower (than 0.725) gear ratio? ... i.e. a taller overall cruising gear ratio.

For instance, would retaining the stock 5th gear in combination with the Corolla 5th driven gear yield a lower (than 0.725) ratio?
... or would the Corolla 5th gear with the stock 5th driven gear yield a lower than 0.725 ratio?

Does anyone have a stock transaxle lying around in which they could count the teeth on the stock 5th gear and 5th 'driven gear'? With that information we could calculate the combinations ...

thanks,

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
No can do Mike, the gears are a matched set. When the size of one gear gets a little bigger the other needs to get a little smaller. Depending on how you mixed you would either get the teeth meshing a little or not at all, or both gears might be so big you could not even get them on the shaft.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah ....

No can do Mike, the gears are a matched set. When the size of one gear gets a little bigger the other needs to get a little smaller. Depending on how you mixed you would either get the teeth meshing a little or not at all, or both gears might be so big you could not even get them on the shaft.
Ahhh ... thanks for that clarification.

As I was writing the question, the question of gear sizes and the gear-mouting rods going together was on my mind i.e. I was afraid that the gear rods wouldn't even get together, as needed. (I'm probably using all the wrong terminology, but you get what I mean ... )

1 - 3 of 3 Posts