MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have read tons of posts on swapping in the MWR 6 spd. I notice that they offer two choices the 3.9 FD and the 4.3 FD. So far I have have only seen one reply on how they like the car afterwards and it wasn't good. However it was a N/A car. I have a 1zz rotrex S/C and want the swap for better hwy speed and nicer cruising. The 3.9FD is what I'm thinking but all the gear ratios are different from the 4.3 FD 6 spd. Now I'm not sure which would be best. Anybody have a FI car with the 3.9FD who could tell me what they love or hate about it. How about the difference around town, more or less performance?
It's just a lot of money if I end up not liking it. I also love quick off the line performance.
Thanks

·
Registered
759 Posts
I like my oem 5speed better than the celica 6speed. The spyder's transmission is less notchy, i felt like the syncros were less likely to fail, and less gears makes for more focus on the road thus more enjoyment. Like you said earlier i need the 6 speed for NA because otherwise i would be falling out of lift cause an awkward jerky acceleration.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts