MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 speed on my 04 bit the dust today. I found a good deal on an 01 celica gts 6 speed with pretty low mileage. I've read just about every thread on 6 speeds and the only thing I'm having trouble is step 2b in little rocket's write up.

B.Drive transmission case bushing into bore toward the control shaft cover using a 12mm (craftsman fits perfectly) socket and extension. Tap until it is flush with the inside of the housing. The picture below illustrates how to move the bushing with a socket and hammer. It is however illustrating how to install a new bushing so the depth measurement does not apply.
What is this transmission case bushing? Is it a reused part from the 5 speed? Is it included with the new shaft or do I have to buy it from Toyota?

All in all, I'm ready for the swap, I just want to know as much as possible before diving in.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
The celica 6 speed shift linkage is fitted to the other side. You have to tap the bushing inside the case towards the other side. And you still need the converted six speed shifter shaft. The hole where the old celica shifter went can be filled with a 28mm freeze plug.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Yep once you get the shifter shaft out you can see the bushing with a flashlight. You just need to move it enough so the end of the new shifter shaft can reach it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I'm going to call the yard tomorrow and hopefully get it Wednesday. I'll be ordering my MWR shaft shortly. I'll head to the parts store and pick up a 28mm freeze plug tomorrow night.

·
Registered
617 Posts
When ordering the shaft from MWR, it comes with a freeze plug too. ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even better! Looks like this might come in under $700. :D I'm fairly certain I'll be doing a clutch while I'm in there just for safe measure. What would be amazing would be if the clutch from my 88's c52 will work. I can't seem to find part numbers. I do remember reading about mk1 owners ordering a lotus clutch just because it fits and to say they have a clutch out of a race car lol.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Even better! Looks like this might come in under $700. :D I'm fairly certain I'll be doing a clutch while I'm in there just for safe measure. What would be amazing would be if the clutch from my 88's c52 will work. I can't seem to find part numbers. I do remember reading about mk1 owners ordering a lotus clutch just because it fits and to say they have a clutch out of a race car lol.
I'd just take it to RT Tuning. (Lansdale, Pa)I thought about fiddling with mine. They told me they were booked but could keep the car inside stored until they are ready to work on it. Well about a week later I get a call "Car finished, drives nice".

I was stoked! And it drives really nice. Erik there knows a LOT about the spyder. (Greenstreak on here)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I never updated this. I got the 6 speed converted and put it in the car. It's been running flawless for the past couple hundred miles. I'm now looking for another good deal on a 6 speed to build up a 6 speed with my original LSD from the 5 speed if that didn't die with the old transmission.

Here are the pics that are missing from LR's writeup that caught me up.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sweet glad to hear you got it done.

How long did it take you? One sitting?

I always have to break stuff up because I can never get a block of time to just sit with it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product_info.php?products_id=853

No, use this. It's expensive but you need it if you're going 6 speed. I have quite a few miles on it now and I can say that I absolutely love it. I read about people missing gears or going into the wrong gear but so far, I've never had a problem. Other people who have driven my car have put the car in reverse instead of 1 but now that I'm used to the trans, I have absolutely no problems with it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks, dev. Looks like that and a reverse blockout, Celica six speed, and some form of LSD to include in the build if I end up having to go that route.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I get some money I'm going to pick up another 6 speed and put my factory LSD from the 5 speed over if it's salvageable.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Thanks, dev. Looks like that and a reverse blockout, Celica six speed, and some form of LSD to include in the build if I end up having to go that route.
I never felt the need for the blockout as it only takes a few drives to get the feel of it. I installed a beeper wired in line with the reverse light for people that don't drive the car like the tire or alignment guy. I just tell them if they hear the beeper they are in reverse. My 2zz vibe has the factory installed beeper so I used the idea on the spyder so people know when they hit reverse. A 12 volt beeper is just a few bucks at radio shack. Good luck getting the car in reverse with the car moving at all as it is not synchromesh in reverse. The true worry on a 6 speed is grabbing 2nd instead of 4th on a 5-4 downshift. I actually take just a split second coming out of 5th to feel the shifter center itself before I pull into 4th. The shifter will center itself in the 3-4 gate automatically if you have assembled the shaft correctly. 5th to 2nd on a downshift going faster than 60 or so is going to float a valve. Just use a light grip on the shifter and it is no problem locating the gates.

·
Registered
7,192 Posts
No, Bean'sShadow, I do not believe you need the freeze plug since the blockplate will be blocking the hole.

BTW, getting that shifter arm off will be a LB.
Thanks for the experiential advice, B.S., and I'm taking the shifter arm to have it pressed off today. You'd think that taking the nut off would loosen it enough for the arm to slide off the 5 speed shift shaft, but it doesn't do p-diddly.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
You have to tap the pinch bolt out the other side if I am guessing correctly since you don't have a picture. The bolt fits in a groove in the shaft and you won't even press it off with the bolt still in there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts