MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size 6UL wheels did you go for and what's your application?

I'm currently running a square 205/50-15 tyre setup on stock wheels (15"x6" front and 15"x6.5" rear) and am thinking of going for either a square 15"x8" wheel setup or 15"x7" on the front and 15"x8" on the rear. Mainly street use, but I'm getting the car track-ready and I'd also like to future-proof the wheels for any power upgrades in the future.

I've been fond of these wheels ever since seeing them on Davis' car in the Photo section, but today I had an opportunity to see them in person on a local Spyder, and they're stunning!

Then there'd be the oh-so-important question of colour - I love the Nickel finish, but on my 1D0 Spyder, I wonder if the matte bronze would give a nice contrast?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
i dont have 6UL's but i have Konig Wideopens (RPF1 replica) 15x8 +20 offset all around on 205/50/15's. had to roll fenders and pull the front fenders.

IMO... silver cars with black wheels looks more aggressive to me. bronze would make it look nice and clean.

P.S. im selling my wheels if anyone is interested :p

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - not a fan of black wheels myself, so it will be either nickel or bronze.

Regarding clearance, the offset for the 15"x8" 6UL wheels is +36.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
6UL 15x9 all around. Track use only.

I run a square 225 setup. As for future proofing, I should be able to fit 275's on the rear with these rims. There is plenty of clearance. The front will hold at least 255 with maybe some fender issues. I'm not sure about lock to lock compatibility though.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I went with the 7/7.5. It was a slight upgrade from stock and i knew I wouldn't have any fitment issues. I went with nickel. I did notice that my wheels are starting to pit. I only had them a year.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Thanks - not a fan of black wheels myself
Good man. :lol:

I have two sets,

daily, 15x7 & 15x8

track, 15x8 & 15x9

maybe I should get a hellaflush set w/ 15x9 & 15x10 :eek:

15x7.5 won't fit on the front as the spokes hit the calipers(due to the higher offset) I believe, Ray had the fitment issues on the front.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
daily, 15x7 & 15x8
How do you like that setup and what size tyres are you using with them, please? I assume those sizes with the +36 offset would clear fine with no modification (1.2" lower than stock ride-height)?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
6UL 15x9 all around. Track use only.

I run a square 225 setup. As for future proofing, I should be able to fit 275's on the rear with these rims. There is plenty of clearance. The front will hold at least 255 with maybe some fender issues. I'm not sure about lock to lock compatibility though.

^^^^ yep. Also running 15x9s. Track Only on 225 tires. Fenders have been rolled and the fronts have hub spacers.

·
Registered
617 Posts
How do you like that setup and what size tyres are you using with them, please? I assume those sizes with the +36 offset would clear fine with no modification (1.2" lower than stock ride-height)?
I like it, no issues what so ever. I'm running 195/50 and 205/50 Yokohama S-drives. Still a decent amount of grip on the streets, haven't tested them yet on autocross. ;p

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
I have the 15x8 all around with 225 rs3's for street/autox/track. Looks good, feels good, what else is there to say? :lol:

My car is also silver and I got the nickel color. Looks great. Bronze, black, red stripe time attack bs all played out, don't do it. Stay classy.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I run 15x8's daily with 205/50-15

Only thing I had to do was bend the little tabs on the lip of the front fenders

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
15x8 on both front and rear would be my choice. You can run 205 or 225 without any issues. You can run a staggered setup or a square setup with that size.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all!

Sounds like 15"x8" all-round would give the most flexibility (the 6UL website says you can fit a 195/50 tire on them too). Now just need to decide on some tires to clad them in. I'm thinking I'll stick with a square setup for convenience, unless there are some decent 15" staggered summer tire options?

Oh, and I think I'll play it safe with Nickel ^_^, unless I see some bronze 6ULs already on a 1D0 Spyder.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
btw good luck getting them anytime soon. as A LOT of the current 6UL wheels are SOLD OUT right now... specially 15x8's and some of the preorder 6UL's for the next shipment are sold out too :(

·
Registered
527 Posts
15x8 on both front and rear would be my choice. You can run 205 or 225 without any issues. You can run a staggered setup or a square setup with that size.
I am also looking to get myself a set of 6UL wheels very soon. Originally I wanted to do 15x8 & 15x9 rear with 225 rs3 all around..

My car is mostly street driven but I am slowly trying to prep for track/autocross sessions..would it be smart for me to go 205 up front? I like the price of the RS3 as well as being ae to rotate tires..

Seth, Davis, Silversprint, rcntype, anyone-- suggestions PLEASE.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm willing to wait for the 6UL goodness, even if it's a matter of months!
Was not aware there is an issue with availibity. Wanted to order these this week or next.. Does anyone know what the wait is like? Also where is the best place to order from price etc.. ???

Thanks

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Was not aware there is an issue with availibity. Wanted to order these this week or next.. Does anyone know what the wait is like? Also where is the best place to order from price etc.. ???

Thanks
Aside from the bronze, which is sold out, the rest are "Shipping May 2012." That's about as much detail as you'll get.

The wheels are a fixed price regardless where you get them from. 949racing.com is just as good a place as any, and Emilio (the owner) is a superb guy to work with and communicates well.

949 is a small, small wheel manufacturer that orders a handful of shipments a year and seems to have difficulty keeping wheels in stock, especially this time of year when people are buying them up for racecar season.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does anyone know what the wait is like?
I think it depends on the size/color, but my local 6UL dealer in San Diego estimated the 15x8 in Nickel wouldn't be available until August and they're not taking pre-orders because the current batch is already a couple of months late...

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I am also looking to get myself a set of 6UL wheels very soon. Originally I wanted to do 15x8 & 15x9 rear with 225 rs3 all around..

My car is mostly street driven but I am slowly trying to prep for track/autocross sessions..would it be smart for me to go 205 up front? I like the price of the RS3 as well as being ae to rotate tires..

Seth, Davis, Silversprint, rcntype, anyone-- suggestions PLEASE.
Price should not dictate your tire choice. I would base your tire choice on what is available in the size you want, based on the wheels you choose.

What does the rest of your suspension look like? I would almost always recommend a "square" setup.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts