MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, long story short... I was driving in poor weather conditions, storm 2 weeks ago...sunday. A river over flooded mid way through right turn. I turned in and the moment I hit the flood the front aquaplained and pulled me into a side rock/mud wall... Luckily I was able to drive the car back to my mechanic about 10km away.
As seen on the photos below the front left took most impact, damaging the bumper/fender/headlight. I was able to source a used pre Facelift bumper and fender already and hopefully I am getting them painted during the week.

The reason why I have started this thread is because after further inspection the camber has been drastically changed due to impact... My camber gauge showed about -6 degrees in front and -8 in back ?... (where it should be -1.5 front & -2 rear). Looking under the car I doesn't look like any arm is bent but that's just a visual inspection... Mechanic told me it that this could be either the coilover that I have or the steering knuckle/spindle that are bent... So I have dismantled the coilovers and tested them if they still work, the compression and rebound are both smooth and the stiffness adjustment is still working so I guess the internals of the BC coil are working as they should... And the coilovers don't look bent as shown in the pics below

So I reassembled them and fitted it back, I have maxed out the front camber plates to positive and also moved the 2 bolts that hold the damper to the steering knuckle/hub as far as I could, this reduced the camber to approx -2 degree in front.
Now I started to reassemble the rear and due to only having 1 point of adjustment on the camber bolts, I was able to reduce the camber from -8 to approx -4 which is way too much...

So here is my question... What is the most common part that would give in this situation? Is it the knuckle or the coilover (which doesn't look to be bent)? Or maybe something else that I should inspect? Both subframes look not touched but the alignment should show that...
Has anyone have similar experience ? And what did you replace to fix this?

Haven't mentioned it but obviously toe change also quite a lot.
The stock fl wheels don't look bent...
Chassis look straight but who knows... Top mounts of the chassis don't look moved...
Any idea what to look for ?
Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
What I would do is take it to a good body shop and ask for a repair estimate. In the US, body shops do estimates at no charge, with no further obligation. The estimator would measure the chassis mounting points for distortion as well as inspecting components.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Could be a bent arm or twisted frame. I'd get a body shop to check the frame measurements before throwing more parts at it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for replies ! I will look into and ask who here in Ireland could check for frame straightness... My mechanic is a panel beater and he had a look at the car and don't think it could be a frame bent... But who knows unless I check it with proper tools...
When I removed the fender, there was nothing bent like the crash bar or the part hidden behind the fender. New fender bolted up perfectly and matched the door and bonnet perfectly straight.

I will try swapping the rear coilover from left to right(yes the brake lines & antirollbar will be unable to be connected but this is just to compare the straightness of the coils) and see if the camber will be reduced... If so then I need new shock cartridge. If not then problem is somewhere else...
Update to come soon, I am only able to work on the car on weekends so it will take a bit before I find the problem.

Any more ideas? I have a suspicion it could be the suspension knuckle/hub assembly ?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would suggest reviewing the Body Dimensions in the rear pages of the Service Manual. A simple comparison of afew points would be good to compare to.

If the frame is tweeked ever so slightly, any issue will most likely surface in another related or connected part.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I applaud your thinking on swapping parts to narrow down the problem. I think you will find something bent in the suspension.
Hey... Quick update, yesterday I have swapped the coilovers right to left and measured the camber if anything has changed... As expected the camber did not change therefore I could confirm that the left rear coilover is straight and that the problem is somowhere else...
Once I was checking the camber I remembered that by rotating the camber bolt washers to face towards the wheel as seen on the photo will give me the ability to achieve even more positive adjustment so that I could dial the camber back to spec...

To my surprise by doing this I was able to get maximum of +0.5 camber which is fantastic...

I could then dial it back to the correct -2 degree which I had before the accident.
As for now I will leave it as is and get the car aligned so that she drives straight, and keep investigating to see which component actually needs replacement.

More Update to come.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Camber bolts are not stock, so no one considered that. They seem to have slipped with the impact. There is mostly likely nothing bent. The toe changes when the camber changes, so it should be checked, but may be OK once the camber is reset

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
UPDATE!
The machine is back!

So last Saturday night I assembled the freshly painted pre facelift bumper and fender along with used left headlight... Everything lined up correctly. As far as paint match its hard to notice unless in direct sunlight when the car is clean, a slight miss match... But you know what, f*ck it! Happy to drive this machine again as it's a driving machine not a show car ? never was and never will be.

Anyway here are the alignment sheets

As you can see it was a bit goosed hahah, but happy to note that I was over panicking about the negative camber,
This is a temporary alignment just to get me back on road, I will need to come back and get the front left back to -1.5 and the rear left to -2.

Car drives dead straight so far, no vibrations felt up to 180km, over that slight vibrations start to appear but this could be due to the wheels getting de balanced after impact... Will get them checked out...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts