MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While searching for a Spyder to replace my totalled FRS I came across an Autotempest ad with no photos. After looking up the VIN and reading the forums I realized it was a bit of a unicorn. It's a 60,000 mile 2004 Phantom Gray Pearl with the red top, red leather interior, every option, 6 speed SMT (only thing I was iffy about but I guess it's ok for now) and most importantly the factory LSD. I flew out of New Orleans to a small dealership in Illinois and there she was. The entire 835 mile trip home went flawlessly aside from having to pull off to get windshield wipers. The engine just ticks along and pulls nicely in every gear. 2200lbs feels good. This forum doesn't seem very active but I'll continue to add photos as I work on her and maybe ask a few questions along the way.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
399 Posts
Great color combo, I'm not a fan of the SMT either but I can see why you wouldn't hesitate on a rare color combo car with low mileage. Best of luck with it

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have your car in a 2005 and keep a directory of grey cars. See my post on my directory of 2005 cars. Could you please pm me your vin and location. I have about 12 of the grey 2004.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have your car in a 2005 and keep a directory of grey cars. See my post on my directory of 2005 cars. Could you please pm me your vin and location. I have about 12 of the grey 2004.
Of course! I read some of your posts before purchasing the car. It's sort of your fault I bought the damn thing!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Well you got a great car, low mileage and smt is a 6 speed with cruise control. Very few grey cars with limited slip option.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nice car! Not sure why you say not very active. I get responses very quickly to everything I post. The guys are very gracious to even my stupid questions. Good luck with your new MR2!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice car! Not sure why you say not very active. I get responses very quickly to everything I post. The guys are very gracious to even my stupid questions. Good luck with your new MR2!
It's probably just me being used to the FRS/BRZ/GT86 forum which has new threads to read every few minutes. My bad.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I can’t believe I missed this one either!! I just drove through Illinois yesterday. If we weren’t in such a rush I would have reached out to check out the ranch.

They could have at least brought this one by to say hi!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was in Hoopeston Illinois. I paid $11,195 out the door. They sent photos and videos before I flew in and even picked me up from the airport and hour away. Solid experience.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Hoopeston ...that's about 2 hrs northeast of me . It was out of my prices range anyway so your ok . 😀

·
Registered
844 Posts
You can tell by the chatter that we are all jealous of your buy. On my list you have one of the best 04s. Lowest mileage and highest options. Even though it is not a Z! option car your was ordered with limited slip and the factory alarm the two best options. Also bought a few thousand below market. Congratulations.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I've successfully pulled off the "Check out what I have under the hood." while opening the front trunk to just about all of my co-workers.

Here's a few things I'm looking for; driver's side trim for the handicapped bathroom stall handle and the trim that flips up on the soft top frame, also on the driver's side. I'll start scouting junkyards but if anyone has a parts car let me know.

I've seen several different issues with the engine bay cover release cable on here but here is mine. The head snapped off of the cable end where it clips into the latch pull. Why wasn't this a metal piece? Any suggested fix before I go find something to crimp on there?

I have oil change supplies, air filter and genuine SMT fluid on order to begin freshening things up. I'm looking for a reliable distributor for Tein Mono Sport coilovers if one of you Euro guys or gals could help me out.

Just out here flashing my lights at Miata drivers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts