MR2 SpyderChat banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I tried digging around on there last night but I couldn't get photos to pop up and the descriptions were vague. I'll try harder.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
I rarely post here anymore, but tune in once in a while. As far as seeming to be an inactive site, you gotta remember that it has been 15 years since the last model year. And the last two model years only saw a couple of thousand sold in the US. Back in the day, this site was hard to keep up with. The for sale forum had multiple cars for sale each week.
Anyway, IMO, you have the creme de la creme of color combinations. The SMT is not a favorite, but since it is a 2004, you may not have the issues that many of the earlier models have had.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It's been a long weekend of maintenance but I'm gotten so many things checked off the list! I even had time to take her through the Swamp Touge with the top down and it was a blast. Maybe I'll dig out my GoPro for next time. I'm heading to Toyota with a list of part numbers for missing trim and a few odds and ends this week. Here's a few snaps of some light off-roading. 🥸

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well I finally got a license plate on her, replaced the interior trim pieces that were missing and slapped a new serpentine belt in. The idler pulley makes a bit of racket now but I'll get around to it. Are there any reputable companies that make a pulley kit for the 1ZZ? I know when I had my FRS, Greddy made a beautiful 7 piece kit that I'd drool over.

The PPE header/catpipe that I sent off to Jet-Hot should be in today but I don't know when I'll be able to install it since we're about to get hit by yet another hurricane. Thankfully my job lets me hide in one of our warehouses. Stay safe out there!

·
Registered
635 Posts
I would love to see a photo of the interior. Mainly because I was considering changing my black leather to red leather, despite it not being a color combination offered for the 2003. Great buy. Best of luck in your ownership and enjoyment.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Well I finally got a license plate on her, replaced the interior trim pieces that were missing and slapped a new serpentine belt in. The idler pulley makes a bit of racket now but I'll get around to it. Are there any reputable companies that make a pulley kit for the 1ZZ? I know when I had my FRS, Greddy made a beautiful 7 piece kit that I'd drool over.

The PPE header/catpipe that I sent off to Jet-Hot should be in today but I don't know when I'll be able to install it since we're about to get hit by yet another hurricane. Thankfully my job lets me hide in one of our warehouses. Stay safe out there!

Do not be tempted by crank pulleys that do not have dampers. The OEM crank pulley includes a torsion vibration damper that protects the crankshaft from fatigue failure.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Do not be tempted by crank pulleys that do not have dampers. The OEM crank pulley includes a torsion vibration damper that protects the crankshaft from fatigue failure.
Oh I'm aware. Fluidampr or bust. I was mostly interested in the accessory pulleys and idlers.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I installed a PPE header & catpipe I had Jet-Hot ceramic coat this weekend. A few bolts snapped off while removing the stock manifold and heat shields but luckily the studs to the head were solid. I'm a little upset the diaper doesn't fit anymore but I'll find something to replace it. Does the Beatrush diffuser fit? For now I just have this shinny pipe hanging out of the back.

Added a quick interior photo for the poster above.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Awesome ride. I want to know more about the SMT shifter setup. Is it just front to back actuation? Where is park? Is it smooth or does it kind of clunk between shifts like a motorcycle? Yesterday I found out these cars had SMTs from the factory. I find it amazing that a production car is equipped with these type of transmissions.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Awesome ride. I want to know more about the SMT shifter setup. Is it just front to back actuation? Where is park? Is it smooth or does it kind of clunk between shifts like a motorcycle? Yesterday I found out these cars had SMTs from the factory. I find it amazing that a production car is equipped with these type of transmissions.
The SMT was an attempt at an electronic shift manual transmission. It actually makes cars like this extra special because of the limited production, less than half of the cars produced were SMT. Many have been converted to full manual or scrapped because nobody knows how to fix them once they break. They had the advantage of 1 mpg more shown on the window sticker, cruise control and they were the only spyders in the US with a 6 speed. So you take a Phantom Red or Red Edition their model in Europe and realize this failure transmission was only on the spyder for a few years and Toyota scrapped the option. There are very few of these in other countries because Europeans like to shift their cars. Now many years later a low mileage car with a SMT becomes a unicorn of the Spyders. This one with the two year only limited slip also. My 2005 is like this one will less miles and a couple more options.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
You dont have CF dash, factory wheel locks, first aid kit, shift knob, emergancy road kit but you have the good stuff. Limited slip alarm and floor mats

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
You dont have CF dash, factory wheel locks, first aid kit, shift knob, emergancy road kit but you have the good stuff. Limited slip alarm and floor mats
Thanks for the wisdom. I didn't know there was an optioned shift knob. Do you have a photo of it by chance?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Last week or 2...

I slapped a new idler pulley on but I'm still chasing a rattle. I'm thinking it's the alternator pulley or the unit itself. Are these alternators known to be noisy?

I changed the transmission fluid just to get up to date on maintenance. The drain plug wasn't very tight so I assume it was kept up with by the previous owner. I filled it with Redline MT-90 not really expecting much in terms of a performance boost but the transmission feels better in every way. It seems to go into gear quicker without jostling the car all while making less noise. I'm sold!

I have coilovers and a muffler on the way but I doubt they'll be here before 2021. Hope everyone is having as much fun as I am!

21 - 40 of 60 Posts