MR2 SpyderChat banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Geeeeez. That thing is super clean and the color combo is amazing. Mine is a true beater/restoration but that is a gem. Wouldn't mind the smt lol.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
As far as underdrive pulleys go, there are these guaranteed to fit, but...
(needs 2zz pump, I think the stock 2zz pump pulley is a little larger but you'd have to confirm)

25% underdrive for the alternator is a little aggressive IMO, that might not be enough to charge the battery at idle.

I have a feeling you could find some part for a different car that would fit the alternator pulley but it's hard to figure out what would fit.

Your car is so clean, it kind of makes me miss my old Spyders!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks for the love everyone. I just received a Covercraft UV sun visor and this is how it fits for those wondering. It has about an inch gap on each side and a rather large slot for the rear view mirror.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just clicking around stumbled upon this forum and found your post. I just picked up the same year and color scheme as yours. Mine is not as clean as yours but it is solid and one of the previous owners installed a 6 speed, which boosts the fun factor a notch. The person I bought the car from said he plasti-dipped the rear bumper cover to hide some paint chips which are still quite visible. He thought it looked good so he proceeded to continue until it didn't, so he stopped. The dip is very thin and is softening up with goo gone, but I have some work ahead of me. I'm in PA and not very motivated to get outside with a pressure washer this time of year. Seeing pictures of what mine can look like may motive me to bundle up an get it done. Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Just clicking around stumbled upon this forum and found your post. I just picked up the same year and color scheme as yours. Mine is not as clean as yours but it is solid and one of the previous owners installed a 6 speed, which boosts the fun factor a notch. The person I bought the car from said he plasti-dipped the rear bumper cover to hide some paint chips which are still quite visible. He thought it looked good so he proceeded to continue until it didn't, so he stopped. The dip is very thin and is softening up with goo gone, but I have some work ahead of me. I'm in PA and not very motivated to get outside with a pressure washer this time of year. Seeing pictures of what mine can look like may motive me to bundle up an get it done. Thanks.
Glad I could help. I believe they sell a special spray that takes the plasti-dip right off. Good luck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
And the Fortune Autos are in! Just started breaking them in but so far I'm very impressed. Even at the factory rebound settings I'm soaking up bumps and pot holes that would toss the car around before. On my daily commute there's a bridge with a large transition that causes a car to bounce a few times before settling. Even in my FRS with BC coils no matter what setting I had the rear on it would still bounce. On my way home yesterday I went over the transition and the car settled instantly after the jump. I drove home with the biggest grin on my face.

Also, the braking on this car.

The only issue I'm having is on hard acceleration I'm getting wheel hop in the rear. I'm not sure if this is a bushing issue, something an alignment will help or a suspension angle issue I'll have to look into. I'm about 2 inches down from stock.

I'm going to drive it for a week or so to let it settle and then go in for an alignment. Any suggestions for a spirited daily with weekend Swamp Touge duty? Any other parts deemed necessary for a lowered Spyder? I'm on stock 03'+ wheels with the stock Potenza 040s. (I would love to find a fresh front tire as the other 3 are nearly new)

Not reading all that? It's fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
And the Fortune Autos are in! Just started breaking them in but so far I'm very impressed. Even at the factory rebound settings I'm soaking up bumps and pot holes that would toss the car around before. On my daily commute there's a bridge with a large transition that causes a car to bounce a few times before settling. Even in my FRS with BC coils no matter what setting I had the rear on it would still bounce. On my way home yesterday I went over the transition and the car settled instantly after the jump. I drove home with the biggest grin on my face.
smooth rides are the best! and awesome car you have there too!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I put 3 hours of highway miles on the car yesterday to and from my alignment appointment with my coilovers (Fortune Auto with 4k/6k Swift springs) set to full soft and I've just got to say everyone that argues you can't get a comfortable daily ride with coilovers is wrong. They soak up everything so well. They're a little TOO comfortable for my tastes at that setting so I'll be doing some experiments this weekend.

·
Registered
Spectra Blue 2003 SMT with Quaife LSD
270 Posts
I think people over generalize. With track tuned coilovers you’re not gonna get a very comfortable ride, but many luxury cars come with coilovers that allow the suspension to perform decently on a heavy car while giving excellent ride quality. My 4000lb beater Chrysler 300 which has factory stock front coilovers makes all but the bumpiest roads feel comfortable, while still being able to handle relatively hard cornering and twisty mountain roads without feeling out of control.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
It's been a busy few weeks for my Spyder and I haven't been doing much documentation. The car is tilting more towards boy-racer but I guess it can't be helped.

I installed the PPE dual exit muffler (so now fully catless PPE setup) before the great freeze of 2021. At first I hated it because the tone is very low and I had to adjust my driving a bit to keep the volume at non-comical levels but I will say it has grown on me. It's a total crackle a pop machine now too. I should record a video as some point.

After installing coilovers I had terrible wheel hop on acceleration and the Kirkosaurus engine mount inserts was my fix. Install is simple with the car backed up on a set of ramps and a few wrenches. The motor mounts for this car are the softest I've ever seen. The NVH increase seems to be a concentrated shutter accerating from a stop and then it's smooth sailing (and shifting).

And now I have wheels and tires waiting to be installed this weekend which should be a drastic upgrade. I kept myself from buying dreamy Rays wheels and decided on my second set of RPF1s. You really can't beat them. The little box on top of the wheels contains the TRD door stabilizers which I'll probably install after work. +5hp per door.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
There's a very clean one for sale in the marketplace thread. Go get it! I've haven't posted updates lately but that doesn't mean I'm not doing things.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Well I've been busy dialing in this little go kart over the past month our so. The RPF1s and Proxes are on...with a little finesse. I'm still experimenting with tire pressures and ride height but I'll figure it out eventually. Whiteline swaybars and Twos R Us endlinks were next and really help the car carry some speed. The real gem of my recent purchases is the TRD door stabilizers which add 5 horsepower per door!

Now someone sell me a hardtop!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
20lb weight loss for under $100? I'll take it! I'd like to move the battery to the passenger cubby eventually to make room for my oil separator set up but this will do for now.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts