MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I now have four 949 Racing wheels taking up space in my apartment and looking sexy. I picked two up locally on craigslist, which were apparently never installed or otherwise used. I received the other two directly from 949. They are large, excessive, and completely unnecessary for any application involving a 1zz. That's right, 100% American in manufacture and spirit, baby!

Pictures say more than I could in words, but note the typeface in the last two pictures. These wheels were received directly from 949, but the typeface is completely different. Interesting.

ooooooh.

Compared to M helmet and XXL cat for reference.

Typeface

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice!.... 225 with a slight stretch? That's a wild guess. What's your proposed tire solution?
Hankook RS3 225/45/15 all around. It kills me to stretch tires, but there is no street tire alternative that I am aware of.
The tires are currently on back order everywhere, and everyone and their mother is dying for 4 or 5 sets of these each. When they will become available again is known by no one. Until then, I'm wringing the life out of my current set of Kumho XS tires.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a little project in the works, would you be available to bring one by for a mock up?
I don't see why not. I'm free this weekend. What are you working on?
PM me for contact info.

I think I need to have a small decal made that shows the NIN logo, with the latter 'N' converted to a 'W' for "wheel" I'll put these somewhere visible on each wheel.
Yes or no?

·
Registered
526 Posts
More questions- Rs3 is a popular tire these days. I see alot of them. Are they just a good & sticky tire?? Or are they reasonably priced, is it a bang for your buck kinda thing?? Both??

Are the wheels gonna poke? Will u need to modify the fenders, roll or pull? What offset??..... Thanks

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Very nice! To push those shoes around you're gonna have to boost now:rockon:

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More questions- Rs3 is a popular tire these days. I see alot of them. Are they just a good & sticky tire?? Or are they reasonably priced, is it a bang for your buck kinda thing?? Both??

Are the wheels gonna poke? Will u need to modify the fenders, roll or pull? What offset??..... Thanks
I hear they handle heat well, making them ideal for extended track days. The price is right too. Check them out on Tirerack, Spyderchat's sponsor. I've heard some racing bodies consider them R-compound tires, excluding them from the 'street tire' category. I suppose this means they are quite grippy and soft.

My rear fenders are already pulled and rolled. I hear the fronts do not need to be modified. Unfortunately, I have to wait for tires to do any kind of meaningful test fit, but I doubt the sidewalls will extend beyond the width of the rim.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Tirerack shows 225/45/15 RS3s in stock.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+R-S3&partnum=245WR5Z222

I don't know of any racing body that considers RS3s to be R-compounds. If you do let me know because I'm curious.

Also, the stretch is a baby stretch, these are more like 235s on 9s.

I also don't see why this setup is excessive for a NA 1zz but I guess thats a matter of opinion. The shorter gearing probably makes you faster than most other tire setups and it lowers the Cg being 15s all around with a 45 series.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tirerack shows 225/45/15 RS3s in stock.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+R-S3&partnum=245WR5Z222

I don't know of any racing body that considers RS3s to be R-compounds. If you do let me know because I'm curious.

Also, the stretch is a baby stretch, these are more like 235s on 9s.

I also don't see why this setup is excessive for a NA 1zz but I guess thats a matter of opinion. The shorter gearing probably makes you faster than most other tire setups and it lowers the Cg being 15s all around with a 45 series.
They are out of stock with tirerack. Or, they were out of stock 1 week and a half ago when I ordered them. They estimated 30-60 days before being in stock again.

According to this wheel size calculator a 225/45/15 tire is very nearly the same diameter as the stock tires on the spyder. So, I won't enjoy either lower gearing or a lower center of gravity. Actually, I will enjoy both, because I'm running oversized tires, but most people won't, because most people are smart, and don't run oversized tire setups on their Spyder :lol:.

I consider it excessive because 9" is outside of the recommended wheel width range for all manufacturers making street tires for 15" wheels. The widest street tire for a 15" diameter wheel I'm aware of is 225, and the widest recommended width is 8" IIRC. The only kind of tires these 9" bad boys are suitable for are 275+ racing tires, and I can't see any reason why a NA 1zz would need to fit those. Therefor, I can't really justify these things with logic other than by saying, "I won't have a 1zz forever." So, let's go with that. Does that sound about right?

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I see your point, on the tirerack link it says recommended rim width 7"-8.5" btw.
I clearly didn't 'IIRC', which is the story of my life I'm afraid. I'm using citations from now on.

So, I may owe you a drink. I verified Tirerack is listing them as 'in stock'. I re-ordered them from Tirerack and the est ship date is within the week. The first time I ordered these things, a week and a half ago, tirerack didn't give an est. date because they were 'special order.' I just looked at my old order confirmation to verify this.

Looks like I might have tires for these wheels sooner than I thought.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
These bad boys just came in. The wheels are a 'little' wider. Incidentally, I discovered a chip in the paint on the inside lip of one of the wheels. I'm sure this has happened post-delivery, and I've been pretty careful with these things. It's disappointing to say that my Rota wheels seem to have a more durable finish.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Oh man, I bet your so stoked you can't sleep tonight. :lol: One of my wheels had a scratch on the lip when I opened up the box, but I figured they were going to get messed up somehow from being on the track/at autocross. And what do you know, they did, oh well. :)

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh man, I bet your so stoked you can't sleep tonight. :lol: One of my wheels had a scratch on the lip when I opened up the box, but I figured they were going to get messed up somehow from being on the track/ at autocross. And what do you know, they did, oh well. :)
That's what I figure as well, so I'm not very sore about it. These are made out of aluminum, right? If not, then rust would be my only concern, and nothing some touch up paint would not fix handily.

I've actually had them since last night, and I did sleep. I slept to the smell of new tires. LOVE it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts