MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My AC is sometimes not coming on. But you can hear the condenser start up. I know its the motor blower or a short. How hard is it to install a new one and how much would a new blower cost?

·
Registered
110 Posts
We need to find out which part is not coming on.
Does the inside fan run without the A/C being called for, like when blowing fresh air to the face or feet?
You mention about the 'condenser'. The condenser is like the radiator, but for the A/C system. It makes no noise, but may have a fan for that alone. (Sometimes the condenser uses the same fan as the radiator) Is the main car engine running normal, or is that overheating?
Those two fans are competely separate, one for inside and one outside.

It will help us to know if the lack of air movement is inside the car with it calling for A/C, or is it that you just don't hear the outside fan come on?

Test it with the car stationary to avoid false air movements, and get back with your findings.

I'm not into Automobile A/C, but do know normal A/C systems, and may be able to point you in the right direction.

Harryco.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well my friend put a aftermarket blower in from Orielys and the motor started fine.

The only problem is the air coming out of the vents are real slow. Like hardly any air comes out. But the little air that blows out is cold?

Could he have connected the wires from power to ground and ground to power?

Would this make it suck air in and push a little out?

The blower I hear it just fine when I turn it to faster settings?

Could a piece of paper gotten stuck in the vent, restrict the flow of air?

·
Registered
110 Posts
It is possible, but very unlikely that your friend wired it up opposite to how it should be, but may be worth asking him to check that part out. A 12v DC motor will rotate backwards if wired the wrong way, and the airflow will be severely reduced.
You do say that if you run it at a faster speed, it sounds fine. Going by the sound instead of airflow can be misleading.

I suspect that the air flow lincage needs to be moved around, as it may be diverting to the feet AND face, or just feet. Move the right hand control knob around in an effort to move that linkage around a few times, then return it to the Face position for maximum air.

Another linkage to play with is the top right slide, that chooses fesh air, or re-circulated air from inside the car. The re-circulated seems to give more air flow.

You say the air is cold, so that should not be a problem.

If the air feels cold or cool at maximum speed the A/C seems to be working OK, and the problem is more than likely in the linkage that diverts the air to different places. Move it around a few times, you may get lucky!

Take care, and enjoy the ride.

Harry.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My friend feels stupid, the store told him black wire is negative and blue is power.

And I call the store and asked them as well. Guess what, black power and blue negative??

Now all is well in Spyder land. (For the moment?):lol:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Great ! Glad you got it all sorted out.
It should run for ages without the same problem coming back, as you now have a new motor in .

Enjoy the Spyder and keep your cool.

Harry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts