MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My 2001 had been sitting outside in 95 degree heat for a couple hours. When I started it up, I turned down the temp, turned on the fan which started blowing hot air and pressed the A/C button. Nothing happened. The A/C light did not come on and the compressor did not start. I drove 30 minutes home and must have pressed the button a hundred times. No go. Today, my MR2 is sitting in a much cooler garage. I start it up and press the A/C switch, light comes on, compressor starts and cool air comes out. Seems there is something in the system that does not like the heat. Any ideas what I should check?

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
It is the relay which is located on the firewall behind the battery in the engine bay. There is an improved relay that will resolve your problem. The Toyota part is about 50 bucks and a generic that is half that. The relay gets hot and closes the circuit. It's a simple fix.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
You don't need AC, you have TD70... Top Down 70 mph...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried TD75 and it was still too hot. I took the advice above and swapped the horn relay with the ac clutch relay as they are the same. I tried the ac after removing the clutch relay just for fun. It behaved differently. The ac light came on but it started blinking after a few seconds. After swapping relays both horn and ac worked as normal. Today, my car sat in the sun all day. It was much cooler than Saturday, 75 instead of 90+. I got in after work and started it up and found that I had to hit the ac switch 3 times to get it to go on, 4 times to get it to go off. I did it repeatedly and it always took a few hits to change. By the time I got home, it took many more presses to get it to go on or off. Horn worked fine. It's not the relay. What else could it be?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.