MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My A/C button (and the a/c) doesn't always work correctly. Sometimes I would have to press it multiple times before would light up.

Now, the button is getting worse. When it's dead hot outside it never works, but seems to work whenever I don't need air conditioning.

I'm guessing it's not a problem with the actual button. Relay problem?

Also, part of my tachometer won't light up occasionally, and then it'll work fine the next day. My clock works but is extremely DIM and un-readable.

Maybe these issues are connected?

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
There is a TSB for the A/C relay. This relay panel is located behind the battery on the firewall. The battery needs to be removed for access. There is an upgraded relay from Mr. T that is expensive $50+ but less expensive relays are available for 25 bucks or so from seveal auto parts stores. The same relay is used in a lot of other cars. Your other issues are not related.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bad news... after months of putting this off I finally got around to replacing the relay. It didn't work.

I even swapped my horn relay with the one I bought and the horn worked fine, so the relay itself is not the issue.

I'm not getting any blinking a/c light, just nada

Any ideas on the next step up?

·
Registered
176 Posts
If that did not work, I'd pull out the multimeter and the A/C switch and use the ohmmeter to see if the switch is switching. If it is working, then I'd trace down the wiring and see if the switch signal is getting to the end of that.
Or, you can work it back from the AC unit- see if the signal is getting to the AC(voltmeter with car running- CAREFULLY), and work back from there

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reply.

I'm a little unsure of what to check for so I hope you don't mind a few questions...

So I need to check the resistance at the a/c switch (when pressed) in the dash itself? Am I looking for a certain ohm number? Then I need to check for continuity from the dash to the relay?

Hope that's not confusing.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
There are two ways to fix things in this world - one way is with a hammer. The other is with a can of contact cleaner.

I'd try the latter in this case.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, it's melting hot outside and I'm giving it another go. <_<

It's remarkably hard to get to the underside of the a/c controls - it looks like I'll have to take out the headunit underneath to get to it. Any tips?

I DO have a can of Caig DeoxIT F5 that I use on my mixer ... maybe this'll do the trick.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Also, not sure if I read the topic right, but on my '95 Toyota truck the AC light on the AC button (which is springloaded) would not light up and the AC wouldn't come on at all when the freon needed to be recharged. At first I thought it was the switch or the AC pump, but when I took it to a mechanic, it just needed a recharge and everything worked. The only reason this might apply is that it also was intermittently working/not working before it just completely stopped. FWIW.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Problem Solved!

MikeV was right on the money. For once, the right solution was also the easiest solution. All I had to do was clean it - it makes perfect sense when you realize how the switch makes contact.

There's a slot right above both the defrost and the a/c button, my guess is that someone thought ahead and put them there for a reason. I sprayed some electronic cleaner through it and ... wahlah!

I also fixed my exhaust rattle and wired a switch to my courtesy lights; a productive day I've had so far.... :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts