MR2 SpyderChat banner

321 - 323 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have Michelin 185/60-15 on the front and 215/60-15 on the rear of my 2003 MR2 Spyder and yes I bought 15" chrome stock wheels for the car just after purchasing the car. The tires transformed the ride, the ride is much smoother and more comfortable now, and the tires last a very long time with the 800 tread wear rating compared to the 140 tread wear rating of the original tires. Also, these tires fill much of the wheel well space that was caused by the OEM tires. With these tires I normally get between 35 and 41 MPG. I highly recommend using 60 series tires. These tires are the same width as the tires that originally came on my Spyder. Wider tires than stock causes more road noise, gets less traction on wet or snowy roads, gets less gas mileage and normally cost more. I have found that the "sweet spot" as far as air pressure goes is 25 or 26 PSI for the front tires and 30 or 31 PSI for the rear tires. Because of the low weight of the MR2 Spyder a well balanced tire is very important so I always have my tires "Road Force" balanced.

I have the SMT Transmission and love it. The extra gear was much needed plus the taller rear tires gives a 6.5% decrease in RPM as well. At 70 MPH in 6th gear and with the rear tires I have the RPM is 590 less than with the five speed Spyders.

·
Registered
17 Posts
2002 spyder
Tien S Lowering Springs
F: 205 40 r17 Federal Evoluzion
R: 215 40 r17 Federal Evoluzion
XXR 530 17x7 et 35 all around
I have rubbing when i hit a bump hard, not sure if i will roll the fenders or remove fender liner.

How was the handling with these?

321 - 323 of 323 Posts