MR2 SpyderChat banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Oh Lord, I just noticed my car seemed to be burning oil It's been about 2,500 since my last change and it seems like it's all the way down the dip stick (44k on it) so I filled it up I could've sworn it was at the F line. Anyways, I could've sworn I filled it up to the Full line when I put in oil. I drove home after I put in the oil from college so approximately 30 miles+ 5 miles to the auto parts store + 5 miles to warm up my car=40 miles I just checked it after approximately 40 miles and it's about half ways down the dip stick now.....Transmission has been having problems recently also, so I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing with that I haven't decided I'm waiting to figure out what it is exactly that's wrong with it.
mj, how long did you let the car sit before checking? And when you "say" "... it seems like it's all the way down the dip stick...", do you mean it's at the "LOW" point or not showing at all? How much oil did you actually put in? IF the level is at "LOW" after 2,500miles, that's just 1qt and probably not a problem.

If you want to talk, give me a call tomorrow, say late morning/early afternoon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm just a newcomer here and not familiar at all with these cars but have to say the service dept there missed an obvious exhaust restriction issue.
Diagnostics 101; won't rev and low power, check for exhaust restriction.
Guess the computer didn't mention that.
"techs" phhht!

·
Registered
252 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaverickMKIII @ Mar 27 2008, 01:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

I guess i'm the newest victim.

2001 spyder
87k miles
1650 miles since my last oil change and my engine starting knocking.
Checked oil and it was completely dry.
Put 3.25 quarts in before it showed full.

Called toyota and there's no service bulletin for this problem? How can that be with so many complaints?

Am I screwed or is there a way to get toyota to pay repair/replace the engine.

Since the catalytic converter is still covered would the damage it caused to the engine be covered?
Has anyone who is out of their standard warranty been successful in getting toyota to replace their engine?
same thing, well not running the car with no oil
but i got my car used and about two months after i got my car, which had the Toyota warranty
i took it to toyota and they said that they needed 4grand and if it was covered by toyota they would cover me........WTF?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey folks I'm new to spyder chat. About a week ago I bought a 2001 spyder at auction for $4,900 it has 170k miles on it, but seemed like it was really taken care of all stock. So after reading all this post this morning I got so worried I pulled the 02 sensors the honey combs where both there and intact... so I gutted them out today only broke one stud took it the machine shop got it all back together just waiting on one 02 sensor before I start it up tomorrow. I noticed that both 02 sensor's where coated white. Does anyone know why this is, and if it's bad? The car runs like a dream minus the power steering going out from time to time but I cycle the key and it come right on has only do this 3 times so far. I have felt so stumbling in the motor twice when cold started, but seemed to clear up pretty quick also I have a p0300 code obd scanner says something like random cylinder miss fire? I know there are different issues in here. I am just hoping I caught gutting the pre cats in time. :confused:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey folks I'm new to spyder chat. About a week ago I bought a 2001 spyder at auction for $4,900 it has 170k miles on it, but seemed like it was really taken care of all stock. So after reading all this post this morning I got so worried I pulled the 02 sensors the honey combs where both there and intact... so I gutted them out today only broke one stud I took it the machine shop got it all back together just waiting on one 02 sensor before I start it up tomorrow. I noticed that both 02 sensor's where coated white. Does anyone know why this is, and if it's bad? The car runs like a dream minus the power steering going out from time to time but I cycle the key and it comes right on has only done this 3 times so far. I have felt some stumbling in the motor twice when cold started, but seemed to clear up pretty quick also I have a p0300 code obd scanner says something like random cylinder miss fire? I know there are different issues in here. I am just hoping I caught gutting the pre cats in time. :confused:

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Hey folks I'm new to spyder chat. About a week ago I bought a 2001 spyder at auction for $4,900 it has 170k miles on it, but seemed like it was really taken care of all stock. So after reading all this post this morning I got so worried I pulled the 02 sensors the honey combs where both there and intact... so I gutted them out today only broke one stud I took it the machine shop got it all back together just waiting on one 02 sensor before I start it up tomorrow. I noticed that both 02 sensor's where coated white. Does anyone know why this is, and if it's bad? The car runs like a dream minus the power steering going out from time to time but I cycle the key and it comes right on has only done this 3 times so far. I have felt some stumbling in the motor twice when cold started, but seemed to clear up pretty quick also I have a p0300 code obd scanner says something like random cylinder miss fire? I know there are different issues in here. I am just hoping I caught gutting the pre cats in time. :confused:
If the pre-cats are intact as you say, you're golden.
Read this, and do what it suggests.
You got a good deal!

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
If the pre-cats are intact as you say, you're golden.
Read this, and do what it suggests.
You got a good deal!

As for the Power Steering, this may help:
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33477

Edit ------------------------------------
Uhhh....
I've made a double post.
Sorry about that, Chief.
Blame Korbel Brandy (Good Stuff!)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Awesome Oldman! great buyers guide! I do have those "ears" and that explains what those straps where I found under the passenger seat, I thought that didn't look right. Also thanks for the other link I am so worn out tonight It looks like a fairly technical read I'll go through in depth in the morning.
Thanks again!

101 - 108 of 108 Posts
About this Discussion
107 Replies
50 Participants
steff
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing